Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Fillets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping Fillets

When I clean my fish I put the fillets in a zip lock bag and fill competely full of fresh water. They keep well but are big and heavy in the cooler. has anybody used the vac seal machine ? A friend of mine said he tried it but the fillets had to be dried and he had tbl making the seal hold. Just wandering I anybody has any thoughts on this? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I know a couple of guys who use the vacuum sealer for their fillets. I think they're happy with it.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Eye,

I use the vac system -- got it at Bass Pro,
    Works great!! my wife loves it when I
    use the vac vs. freezing them in water.

Z21
    How's it going : One foot in the grave, one foot on a banana peel, twenty people pushing !!!

Post Thanks / Like

It takes a lot less room in the freezer when they are vacuum sealed.
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

Vac seal machines work well, but getting a good seal can sometimes be a problem when the bag is all wet. A paper towel inserted right before you seal it at the top seems to help. A LOT less space taken up in the freezer too!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about getting out there and fishing in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like

It takes a little more time, but if you freeze each one seperately on a wax paper covered cookie sheet just long enough to firm them up it works awesome. This way you don't have to worry about not getting a good seal because all the moisture is already frozen. It makes thawing them out a thousand times faster as well because they are not all in a hunk of ice. You just have to make sure you don't freeze them seperately for more than a couple hours or so. If you let them freeze seperately for an entire day or two, the outside gets tinges of freezer burn. I ussually stick them in the freezer for about 4 hours or so, just long enough to get them a little firm. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the vacum bags alot and my fish stay fresh and you can stack them where they don't take up so much room. Besides you can use the sealer on anything you want to store.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Default I use both, actually...

I use the fresh water in a zip lock method, freeze them and then seal them in the vacuum sealer (after they're frozen solid).

The vacuuum seal isn't to keep it any fresher, it's simply to prevent a mess in the case of an accident. My daughter accidentally left the freezer door open last spring and everything in the freezer defrosted/melted.

Well, unfortunately, some of the ziplocks had small holes or problems with the seal and leaked all over the freezer and basement floor. What a stinky mess!!!

Consequently, I now seal the frozen ziplocks with the vacuum sealer to prevent leaks should that happen again. It's probably a bit over the top but it's purely a peace of mind thing for me.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

I love the sealer, but I had a crappy one and it would not seal very well. Just got the food saver and it is wonderful.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

ziplock & water!...faster, easier, and no chance of freezer burn!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast