PDA

View Full Version : Need rod and reel help

Hillbilly Willie
02-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Looking to buy a rod and reel that are ultra light and that won't break the bank. Any suggestions? Is an Ugly Stik a good choice?

deathb4disco
02-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Bass Pro Microlite's are nice and only $39.99. (Wait a few weeks and they'll be on sale for $29.99.)

Bass Pro also has several inexpensive UL combos. The rods are usually 4'6" or 5', though.

Also:

Cabela's Pro Guide for $39.99
Cabela's Fish Eagle II on sale for $49.88 ($30 off the regular price)

For the reel, it's hard to go wrong with a Shimano or Daiwa.

klight1122
02-18-2008, 06:26 AM
I use the Ugly Stick, they seem to work fine. I also use the pflueger UL Micro Spin Combo 39.95 @ Gander Mountain. If I need to replace a rod I buy Ugly Stick.

Countrytime
02-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Shimano makes a few around $29.00-$39.00 that are good for casting jigs. You can find them at Academy stores. Wally Marshall signature series are good in that price range as well from Bass Pro. Ugly Sticks serve their purpose, but are on the heavy side it being fiberglass. A 5ft UL Ugly Stick makes a descent dock shooting rod. Casting jigs I would go with graphite, it will be lighter with far greater sensitivity. Reel wise a Pflueger would be hard beat for smoothness versus price. I would go with something like the president model, some like the Trion. I know the president is smooth.

TeamAdcraft
02-18-2008, 05:18 PM
UL Ugly stick 5' $29.99 and a pflueger 6725X reel $59.99. I have 3 of this setup and they work extremely well. Wouldn't change for anything..

skeetbum
02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Shakespeare sells some at Wally for around $20. Tiny and fun, mine aren't much different.

ad1974
02-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I have a Walmart ultralight Ugly stick combo that cost me about 30 bucks,it works really well.

slabjigger
02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
I just put this combo together about a month ago and I've been real happy with it. The dockshooter was around $35 and the U101 from Abu Garcia was $24.99. The dockshooter is a little stiffer than your typical ultralite, but you can bend the fool out of it and shoot 1/32 jigs a mile.

sj

CrappiePappy
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM
I'll tell ya what I use, and you can take it from there :p

Primary dock shooting outfit :
Cabela's ESP Panfish Rod 5ft spinning w/Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 (trigger spinning reel).
Here's the rod : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0054118123149a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=esp&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=esp&noImage=0

Secondary dock shooting outfit :
Quantum 635N UL spinning rod 5ft w/same reel.

I purchased both reels from the consignment bin, at my local tackle store ... about $15ea. The Cabela's ESP rod didn't cost me anything ... it's a prototype that I fieldtested for the designer. The Quantum probably didn't cost me over $20 (and I probably got it out of the consignment rack, too ... just can't remember, for sure).

My fishing partner uses Berkley Cherrywood 6ft spinning rods and UL spinning reels (don't really remember what brand ... probably Shimano or Daiwa) ... and is satisfied with them.

All outfits are equipped with either Stren Gold 4lb mono or Mr Crappie Super hi-vis yellow 4lb mono. (we're line watchers ;) )

Whatever way you go ... 5-6ft length -- light to med action -- smooth winding reel w/good drag system ... will get you into the game. What brands you choose will be dictated by your budget price range ;)

I've used about every spinning outfit I own, to shoot docks with ... from 5ft to 8ft rods -- UL to 2000 series reels -- and microlite to med/hvy action rod blanks. And I've used them all successfully :D ... it just boils down to what feels good to you, and still performs the job successfully. Learning the art of dock shooting, with accuracy & distance, is job one ... after that it's just a matter of personal preference, as to what outfit feels/works best for you.

... luck2ya ... cp :cool:

deathb4disco
02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Primary dock shooting outfit :
Cabela's ESP Panfish Rod 5ft spinning w/Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 (trigger spinning reel).
Here's the rod : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0054118123149a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=esp&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=esp&noImage=0

CP, I saw this rod in the new Cabela's catalogue and thought it looked pretty cool -- loved the graphite handle. How do you like it? What's the action like? Does it cast jigs well (other than dockshooting)?

Thanks.

CrappiePappy
02-21-2008, 10:53 AM
CP, I saw this rod in the new Cabela's catalogue and thought it looked pretty cool -- loved the graphite handle. How do you like it? What's the action like? Does it cast jigs well (other than dockshooting)?
Thanks.

It's a nifty little rod. I'm kinda partial to graphite Tenn Handles, anyway ... as they seem to be a bit more sensitive, and are better at telegraphing the "thump", from line to hand/fingers. The "action" is fine, for the length of the rod ... stiff enough for a good wrist-snap hookset, and pretty much a med-fast tip action. Casts just fine, and rivals my longer rods for distance with same jig weight & line size.
The rubber reel seat grips will hold the reel on, just fine ... but, I still tape mine (just for the extra piece of mind security ;) )
The "hook keeper" is a neat little gadget, as well. It's not the usual wire loop that's just wrapped onto the blank. It's actually spring loaded, so you can fold it down. (aka ... it opens and closes)

That being said ... I think it's a little overpriced @ $65.00 ... IMHO

... cp :cool:

joejv4
02-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I got a Quantum Snapshot SS10 for my birthday - I think they have them at Wally-world. I'm itching for the hard H2O to melt so's I can try it out - I've spooled it with 4# mono. In fact, I re-spooled all my reels just because I'm going nuts waiting for spring.

The Quantum combo has a real nice feel to it, and it's a 6 bearing reel that cranks smooth as silk.

deathb4disco
02-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm kinda partial to graphite Tenn Handles, anyway

Me too. I have a couple of old Lew's ultralights like this. They're great. I've never understood why you don't see these handles on more rods. Like you said, they're light and sensitive. What more could you ask for in a rod handle?

FisherMike
02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Does anyone have experience with Allstar rod?

I have two BPS MicroLites and really like them.
I'm just too hard on graphite rods and I'm trying to find something else maybe in fiberglass.

I'm also looking for something to fish around docks with. Something long I can reach over with. Dock shooting is difficult with my boat. It has high sides and I have to set down with my back problems.
Any ideas?
Do they make extendable rods with a few eyes and a reel seat? I've been looking but haven't found anything, yet.

ISP4937
02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Fishermike
Go To Grizzlyjig.com And Go To The Bnm Rods 2.. They Have Some Black Widow Fiberglass Rods With Eyes And Real Seats... We Use A Few Gor Spider Rigging (cheaper) And Dipping In Lily Pads When We Head To Reelfoot...

joejv4
02-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Does anyone have experience with Allstar rod?

I have two BPS MicroLites and really like them.
I'm just too hard on graphite rods and I'm trying to find something else maybe in fiberglass.

I'm also looking for something to fish around docks with. Something long I can reach over with. Dock shooting is difficult with my boat. It has high sides and I have to set down with my back problems.
Any ideas?
Do they make extendable rods with a few eyes and a reel seat? I've been looking but haven't found anything, yet.

I've got a 9' Shakespeare Sigma noodle rod that works great for working docks. Just something you might want to look into. I think pretty much any 9' or longer noodle rod would be good for what you're looking to use it for.

FisherMike
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks ISP and Joe.

I believe those are exactly the type of rods I 'think' I'm looking for.

Unless there are better options I don't know about out there.

CrappiePappy
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks ISP and Joe.
I believe those are exactly the type of rods I 'think' I'm looking for.
Unless there are better options I don't know about out there.

You can still "shoot" docks ... even with a highsided boat, and sitting down. You might have to learn to shoot "sidearm" :p rather than from "under" the rod. And you might have to back away from the dock just a little further than normal, but it is do-able. Just turn the rod/reel sideways, and hold the jig out to the side .... kind of 90deg to the normal position. Accuracy might take a little practice, if you have to shoot into tight openings. But, the jig will still skip back under the dock ... since the dynamics of the method aren't really changed, just the rod/jig positioning. I've done it before, even from a raised platform boat & sitting in the seat. Often times I find it to be easier to do it this way ... especially if the water level is real close to the edge of the dock. Backing away from the dock a bit, gives you a little longer distance to shoot the jig ... but, it also gives you a little more water surface space to skip your jig on.

... luck2ya ... cp :cool: