Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need rod and reel help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need rod and reel help

Looking to buy a rod and reel that are ultra light and that won't break the bank. Any suggestions? Is an Ugly Stik a good choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Microlite's are nice and only $39.99. (Wait a few weeks and they'll be on sale for $29.99.)

Bass Pro also has several inexpensive UL combos. The rods are usually 4'6" or 5', though.

Also:

Cabela's Pro Guide for $39.99
    Cabela's Fish Eagle II on sale for $49.88 ($30 off the regular price)

For the reel, it's hard to go wrong with a Shimano or Daiwa.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Ugly Stick, they seem to work fine. I also use the pflueger UL Micro Spin Combo 39.95 @ Gander Mountain. If I need to replace a rod I buy Ugly Stick.
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano makes a few around $29.00-$39.00 that are good for casting jigs. You can find them at Academy stores. Wally Marshall signature series are good in that price range as well from Bass Pro. Ugly Sticks serve their purpose, but are on the heavy side it being fiberglass. A 5ft UL Ugly Stick makes a descent dock shooting rod. Casting jigs I would go with graphite, it will be lighter with far greater sensitivity. Reel wise a Pflueger would be hard beat for smoothness versus price. I would go with something like the president model, some like the Trion. I know the president is smooth.
    Last edited by Countrytime; 02-18-2008 at 12:59 PM.

TeamAdcraft is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

UL Ugly stick 5' $29.99 and a pflueger 6725X reel $59.99. I have 3 of this setup and they work extremely well. Wouldn't change for anything..
    2X In-Fisherman Magazine Regional Crappie Anglers of the Year
    Official Provider of the Crappie.com State Decals

GO RAZORBACKS!!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Shakespeare sells some at Wally for around $20. Tiny and fun, mine aren't much different.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Walmart ultralight Ugly stick combo that cost me about 30 bucks,it works really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default B n' M Dockshooter / Abu Garcia Cardinal U101

I just put this combo together about a month ago and I've been real happy with it. The dockshooter was around $35 and the U101 from Abu Garcia was $24.99. The dockshooter is a little stiffer than your typical ultralite, but you can bend the fool out of it and shoot 1/32 jigs a mile.

sj

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Well, Willy ...

I'll tell ya what I use, and you can take it from there :p

Primary dock shooting outfit :
    Cabela's ESP Panfish Rod 5ft spinning w/Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 (trigger spinning reel).
    Here's the rod : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=esp&noImage=0

Secondary dock shooting outfit :
    Quantum 635N UL spinning rod 5ft w/same reel.

I purchased both reels from the consignment bin, at my local tackle store ... about $15ea. The Cabela's ESP rod didn't cost me anything ... it's a prototype that I fieldtested for the designer. The Quantum probably didn't cost me over $20 (and I probably got it out of the consignment rack, too ... just can't remember, for sure).

My fishing partner uses Berkley Cherrywood 6ft spinning rods and UL spinning reels (don't really remember what brand ... probably Shimano or Daiwa) ... and is satisfied with them.

All outfits are equipped with either Stren Gold 4lb mono or Mr Crappie Super hi-vis yellow 4lb mono. (we're line watchers )

Whatever way you go ... 5-6ft length -- light to med action -- smooth winding reel w/good drag system ... will get you into the game. What brands you choose will be dictated by your budget price range

I've used about every spinning outfit I own, to shoot docks with ... from 5ft to 8ft rods -- UL to 2000 series reels -- and microlite to med/hvy action rod blanks. And I've used them all successfully :D ... it just boils down to what feels good to you, and still performs the job successfully. Learning the art of dock shooting, with accuracy & distance, is job one ... after that it's just a matter of personal preference, as to what outfit feels/works best for you.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Primary dock shooting outfit :
    Cabela's ESP Panfish Rod 5ft spinning w/Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 (trigger spinning reel).
    Here's the rod : http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=esp&noImage=0
    CP, I saw this rod in the new Cabela's catalogue and thought it looked pretty cool -- loved the graphite handle. How do you like it? What's the action like? Does it cast jigs well (other than dockshooting)?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast