Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a knot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a knot

I have been searching hi and low for the knot Todd Huckabee uses for a double jig rig. I saw it somewhere and used it and loved it, that was last summer and forgot how to do it.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the animated version, but I think I can explain it...

You run the first jig up your line (single pass through eye) to the designated depth. Hold jig in right hand. Make 3 wraps around two fingers of your left hand. Pass the jig through the 3 loops simultaniously. Moisten knot and tighten. Pull the jig 'till knot tightens. Then pull line above and below the jig to finish tightening the knot.

I just saw his seminar at the OKC Tackle Show this weekend, and he used the same knot for both jigs.

Let me know if this makes sense or not!
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad this subject has been brought up. I've tried to figure that one out also. I've been just tying the top jig directly on the main line. Do you all think this knot will really impart a better action on the jig? I still catch fish on the top jig as often as I do the bottom jig when tied directly on the line. But Huckabee's knot just looks cool.
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy Knot

I think DC Crappie Kid hit it right on. The way he explains it is the way I tie mine and easy and works great. I usually end up with about 5 or 6 inches of line between the hook/jig and the knot and then I tie a couple overhand knots between the hook/jig and knot and I think it helps keep the hook/jig away from the main line. Hope we have helped you. I use it for hooks when I use a minnow and also if I use a jig.
    Go Navy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OKSTATEjiggy
    I'm glad this subject has been brought up. I've tried to figure that one out also. I've been just tying the top jig directly on the main line. Do you all think this knot will really impart a better action on the jig? I still catch fish on the top jig as often as I do the bottom jig when tied directly on the line. But Huckabee's knot just looks cool.
    I always catch more using a drop loop of some sort. There's no resistance when the fish "sucks" at your jig. Most people think fish just "bite," but truth is, they flush water out through their gills when they attack something. Line with resistance above and below your lure would impeed this process. But when it hangs freely, it's easier for the fish to inhale. <--That's my reason.

Todd's reason for using this knot (at least the main one he shared at the seminar) is that the jig hangs more diagonally, therefore the crappie is more likely to bite the hook than the tail. With cinch knots, the lure hangs horizontal, and the crappie (which almost always bites from below it's prey) may not get all the way over the hook. Thus resulting in that "tap" we're all familiar with...but no "fish-on." That's why he uses that same loop knot on the bottom jig too.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DC Crappie Kid
    I don't have the animated version, but I think I can explain it...

You run the first jig up your line (single pass through eye) to the designated depth. Hold jig in right hand. Make 3 wraps around two fingers of your left hand. Pass the jig through the 3 loops simultaniously. Moisten knot and tighten. Pull the jig 'till knot tightens. Then pull line above and below the jig to finish tightening the knot.

I just saw his seminar at the OKC Tackle Show this weekend, and he used the same knot for both jigs.

Let me know if this makes sense or not!
    That makes perfect sense. I had tied it some last year but forgot it, thanks for the refresher
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try the Figure 8!

I could be wrong, but my tests with 6# mono show that both the Todd Huckabee variety of knot, and the type that Wally Marshall uses are significantly weaker than the simple Figure 8 knot for loops.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong but it sounds like this knot just making the twists a little different.

http://www.fryingpantower.com/module...howpage&pid=88
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    I may be wrong but it sounds like this knot just making the twists a little different.

http://www.fryingpantower.com/module...howpage&pid=88
    Close, the main diff is that with Todd's knot the jig passes through all 3 loops. Not saying it's any better, that's just what he uses. I don't know any reason the Blood Bight wouldn't work just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast