Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: minnow trapping

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow trapping

hey guys, need some advice on trapping minnows. I have been using a basket trap with bread in it but i just cant catch any minnows. Anyone have any tricks?

Post Thanks / Like

first thought is are there any minnows there, if so are you setting your trap to deep, still water works best for me,deep holes in small creeks, put trap in shallow spot close to deep water, normally if you can see them you can catch them in a trap, if not do the sein thang. . good luck

Post Thanks / Like

thanks beagle man. Do you use bread for bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhrper
    thanks beagle man. Do you use bread for bait?
    I also bait mine with bread..& I catch all I need:

Post Thanks / Like

yes I do I and I use a nylon sock with crackers I do not use minnows, well mostly never. but my fishing buddy does and he get's tired of buying them there high here... so I trap place in old stock tank we always have minnows,, I just built a minnow pond gonna raise them to restock my fishing pond.. then if all works Darrell will have all the minnows he wants.

Post Thanks / Like

I trap minnows from time to time. I tear up a slice of bread into pieces about the size of a quarter. I always set my trap in the upper end of a hole where there is some mild current and I make sure the current is running through the throat of the trap. This allows the bread particles that begin to break up to flow into the bigger part of the pool where it has a chumming effect which attracks the minnows. If there are minnows you should be able to catch them. Where I live in Eastern Kentucky I usually catch several crawdads which are good for bass or you can pull the tails off and peal them for bluegill. Bigger creek chubs are great for catfish. We country boys don't waste much!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default bread is cheaper than-

dog food?
    I haven't tried this yet, but the folks that I bought two square minnow lift-nets from reccommended using Strongheart canned dog food. Anybody tried that ever? Results?

*waiting for someone to heckle me about square minnows*

(naw...the lift nets are square...)

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of dogfood but always use bread. I agree gopreach here where I live we usually catch a few crawdads and chub minnows also. Bass love them chubs.