Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Replacement Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deck Replacement Question

I will be modifying my boat, which will require tearing off the front deck and replacing it. Do I have to use marine grade plywood or can I get by with pressure treated? I will be covering the wood with marine vinyl flooring or possibly the roll on liner.

Post Thanks / Like

Marine ply would be best! but i think if i was replacing my deac i would lookinto a product called alumalite. Alumalite is a piece of rubber asnwinched between 2 pieces of aluminum its very strong and wont rot, but it is a bit pricey, bout 2 times the cost of marine grade ply. You can get it from most sign shops
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

We just replaced a deck on a friends boat with 50 year press wood. According to the guy at Lowes it can soak in water and still have a warranty. I used it in a bathroom floor replacement and had enough left over to try in his boat. It has been down by the bath tub and shower for a few years and seems to be working fine. It cost about half as marine grade. If it last for 50 years it will probaly outlast me!
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

the glue in marine plywood is not water soulable,the other is, it will come apart if you get it wet often or have to store it outside.. did it had to replace it on my pontoon,,, double the work double the cost, cheaper to go marine or metal

Post Thanks / Like

stinkies daddy is on the right track. If your going to tear it up I would replace it with something you will never have to worry about again, and plus its a lot lighter.
    can't catch'em at home

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to add a little insurance, do like boat mfg used to do. Get a quart of fiberglass, mix it to cure slow, and thin it 50/50 with acetone. drill all holes and make all cuts, put wood on sawhorses, and continue to apply til it's gone. It soaks way back into the grain cuz it's so thin and then hardens. Used that method on past boats when budget was low, never replaced one.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stinkies daddy
    Marine ply would be best! but i think if i was replacing my deac i would lookinto a product called alumalite. Alumalite is a piece of rubber asnwinched between 2 pieces of aluminum its very strong and wont rot, but it is a bit pricey, bout 2 times the cost of marine grade ply. You can get it from most sign shops
    I will have to check out this stuff. Not that I am rich, but when I do a project like this I don't mind putting a little extra money into it for peace of mind.

I appreciate all the advice here. I knew I could count on a variety of opinions to give me something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely wouldn't use the pressure treated stuff. They changed the formula a couple of years ago and is really nasty now. I hate to even touch the stuff. Most of it you get now is still wet and I can't imagine how it would react when you were out in a heavy rain. Since I retired I do a lot of woodworking and I won't hardly take a job where I have to handle and cut a lot of pressure treated. Guess I'm getting old and soft. Like you said, spend a little extra and do it right.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Alumilite looks like a much better option than marine ply. The one site I found that sells to the public only handles 1/4" and 3/8" sheets.

How strong are the 3/8" panels when cut to a 4'x4' square ?

I would think you'd still need aluminum angle and tubing for a sub-structure.

Post Thanks / Like

The main difference, I have been told, between the two is that marine grade has less voids. I used regular pressure treated on mine, but after I let it dry out, I coated both sides and the top with an "asphalt" type paint used on fences. Then I let it dry and covered with carpet. I did a dog house about 8 years ago and coated it with the same stuff, and honestly it looks like it is still fairly new.
    Here is the stuff http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1
    Main thing I found was to let it dry completely before glueing the carpet and if the ply is still wet it will take a while
    TinBoats.net
    The original aluminum boat fishing club!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast