Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catfish structure

Post Thanks / Like

Question Catfish structure

Our favorite fishing lake is down several feet for ramp repair and this seems like a good time to put out some structure on an exposed mud flat where we like to fish for pan-sized (1.5 - 2 lbs.) channel cats. We have some large clay drain tiles that we could drag out into the water. Good idea or not? - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good to me
    jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc
    Does anybody have any suggestions for structures in a pond for catfish to spawn? I am planning to stock channel cats soon and need to put some structures in the pond for them to spawn.
    I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add that a reservoir near me places old picnic tables in the water. They are catfish magnets.
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc
    Does anybody have any suggestions for structures in a pond for catfish to spawn? I am planning to stock channel cats soon and need to put some structures in the pond for them to spawn.
    I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD THREAD BUT I JUST SAW IT. OLD TIMERS HERE IN
    MISSOURI USED METAL MILK CANS FOR CHANNELS. THEY WORK GREAT BUT ARE EXPENSIVE AND HARD TO FIND. WE USE FIVE GALLON PLASTIC BUCKETS
    WITH SEVERAL HOLES DRILLED IN THEM. PUT A BRICK OR ROCK IN THEM AND
    TRY TO GET THEM TO SINK WITH THE BOTTOM IN A HORIZONTAL POSITION
    INSTEAD OF STANDING UP. IT SEEMS TO WORK BETTER THAT WAY.
    GOOD LUCK
    CHEF

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for resurrecting this thread. My impression of channel cats is that they like anything they can enter for egg laying. Plastic barrels would probably be good, too.
    To get the 5 gallon buckets to lay on their sides, how about drilling two smal lholes on the side and wriing a brick (the kind with holes in it) as a weight on one side?
    We never got around to dropping our big drain tiles, but we may do that yet this fall, especially now that most people have stopped fishing at the lake in question. - Roberta

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Hey, thanks for resurrecting this thread. My impression of channel cats is that they like anything they can enter for egg laying. Plastic barrels would probably be good, too.
    To get the 5 gallon buckets to lay on their sides, how about drilling two smal lholes on the side and wriing a brick (the kind with holes in it) as a weight on one side?
    We never got around to dropping our big drain tiles, but we may do that yet this fall, especially now that most people have stopped fishing at the lake in question. - Roberta
    That would work. You would need a couple, maybe 1" holes at the bottom on the opposite side of the brick so air wouldn't get trapped in it. If the water isn't too deep, you could "noodle" for them. If you do, you are braver than me. I watched a film once of men and women doing that. The only comment I had was "they're crazy" LOL.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Not as crazy as the relative I had who noodled for snapping turtle. I prefer rod and reel for the cats, thank you very much. - Roberta