Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: It is against the law

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It is against the law

in Tennessee to dump fish carcasses in the water or on any Refuge or any TVA land. Even the fish cleaning stations are technically illegal. However, TWRA tend to ignore this as the stations are located so as to not interfere with personal activities.

If you are caught dumping fish guts on or near a boat ramp or pier or near residential dwellings, campgrounds, etc., you are and will be subject to a stiff fine and more if it is a reoccurring offense.

I you take your carcasses away from these areas and dump them, it is still illegal, but the TWRA officers tend to ignore this act as the know the guts will be scavenged.

I had a hard time finding the law as it doesn't appear on TWRA rules and regulations, etc.

Took a few phone calls. Brenda bopped me on the head and emphasized the fact that we had a relative that is a chairperson on the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Commission. Dummy me. I got a lot of questions answered.

Don't get caught dumping near me. I am a whistle blower and we all should strive to keep things nice for all to enjoy.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Here at the local CORP lake it is also against the law but I was told it was due to calling the gators to the campgds. I know some years ago there was one gater that would come up very close to folk cleaning fish.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, I detest litterbugs.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck here there are so many turtles the fish remains get carried off before they hit bottom in 2' of water, LOL!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you use some common sense I don't think they are going to have any problem w/ it, but if you are creating a bad situation for other people that could be avoided I think they might do something about it. I dump all my fish in KY Lake after cleaning them, but I cut them where they sink and then the kids have fun catching the catfish off the dock that stack up around the fish cleaning station.