Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is your motor running rough?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is your motor running rough?

Here is a procedure complements of iboats that I know for a fact works.
    BEWARE! if you do this in your driveway, it is going to make a mess.

Decarbing is a 2 part process. The first part is preventative, done by using a fuel additive to prevent carbon build up. SeaFoam is one such fuel additive and can be found at most auto parts stores. It also works as a fuel system cleaner and should be used as a preventative maintenance procedure.If Your intent is to REMOVE the existing carbon buildup from the cylinders, heads, and rings, a spray decarb solvent product, such as SeaFoam Deep Creep, Power Tune, or Ring Free, is needed to do the decarb process. Free moving rings are what seals your cylinders and gives you compression. Compressed and stuck rings means loss of compression, broken rings, damaged pistons and heads, and eventually, engine failure.Run engine at fast idle, with engine running and warm, slowly spray liberal amount into each carb. Its gonna smoke up the place. Spray for a couple minutes, now spray a larger amount into the carb(s) until engine chokes out and stops.Remove spark plugs and spray the decarb product liberally into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, let it soak for an hour or more. Start the engine and run at medium throttle, or if at the lake, run it at full throttle. It won't hurt to spray some more through the carbs. Run it for atleast 10 minutes to flush the crud out of your engine. Now remove and clean, or replace the spark plugs. It works well to do the spraying, the night before you go to the lake. This way you can let it soak overnight, and run at full throttle at the lake.Don't do this in front of the garage door or the house, unless you want it covered with greasy black crud.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. I run seafoam in every ounce of gas in all my outboards. So far, so good. If you do the carb spay (decarbing method) above, listen to that advice about not doing it in the driveway. You'll be amazed at what comes out of your motor.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Here is a procedure complements of iboats that I know for a fact works.
    BEWARE! if you do this in your driveway, it is going to make a mess.

Decarbing is a 2 part process. The first part is preventative, done by using a fuel additive to prevent carbon build up. SeaFoam is one such fuel additive and can be found at most auto parts stores. It also works as a fuel system cleaner and should be used as a preventative maintenance procedure.If Your intent is to REMOVE the existing carbon buildup from the cylinders, heads, and rings, a spray decarb solvent product, such as SeaFoam Deep Creep, Power Tune, or Ring Free, is needed to do the decarb process. Free moving rings are what seals your cylinders and gives you compression. Compressed and stuck rings means loss of compression, broken rings, damaged pistons and heads, and eventually, engine failure.Run engine at fast idle, with engine running and warm, slowly spray liberal amount into each carb. Its gonna smoke up the place. Spray for a couple minutes, now spray a larger amount into the carb(s) until engine chokes out and stops.Remove spark plugs and spray the decarb product liberally into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, let it soak for an hour or more. Start the engine and run at medium throttle, or if at the lake, run it at full throttle. It won't hurt to spray some more through the carbs. Run it for atleast 10 minutes to flush the crud out of your engine. Now remove and clean, or replace the spark plugs. It works well to do the spraying, the night before you go to the lake. This way you can let it soak overnight, and run at full throttle at the lake.Don't do this in front of the garage door or the house, unless you want it covered with greasy black crud.
    Thanks I will give this a try. How ofen do you add Sea Foam to the fuel after the Decarbing step? Also how often do you do the decarbing?
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If most of your running is below planning speeds like most of us then do a de-carb every 50-60 hours. This comes from an article put out by OMC some years ago. Since Sea Foam also acts as a stabalizer like Stabil, I add it regularly.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Ranger690 is online now Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of engines have a Shrieder valve (valve stem) connection somewhere on them that will allow you to hook up a can of Carbon Remover, just like you used to screw on a can of Fix-A-Flat. So many newer motors have difficult carb covers (Air box), and this valve is a great convenience.

Run your choice of brand, carbon build up preventer in the gas. Plus, every so often you can double or triple the amount while low on gas and run the motor for a day. Then top it off with fresh gas.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Wantabe, I put anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 an ounce in every gallon I run through my 25 and my 200. Like was said above, it's a fuel stabilizer and cleaner as well. I believe it helps to keep the rings from building up with carbon, although I've haven't pulled the heads to inspect them, so I can't prove it. That being said, I haven't had to pull my heads to prove it either, so therefore, I must be right. :D

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default SeaFoam??

What exactly does SeaFoam do for your motor, and is it just an additive to your fuel?

Post Thanks / Like

Here here, I agree. My motor wouldn't idle well at all. I put the sea foam thru the carbs and smoked up the neighborhood real good (twice even). Now she purrrrs like a kitten.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Here ya go ...

Quote Originally Posted by FishingDog
    What exactly does SeaFoam do for your motor, and is it just an additive to your fuel?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

... cp