Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I have a very understanding eight year old!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have a very understanding eight year old!

I was fishing with my son yesterday afternoon. We didn't fish very long before he got cold and wanted to go home.
    Anyway, we were fishing jigs about 10' deep over 12 to 18 feet of water. He was getting bites but just couldn't close the deal. Fishing isn't his favorite sport and was getting frustrated and feeling defeated. I was trying hard to get him at least one fish but no luck.
    He said he knew we hadn't been out very long (30 minutes) but was cold and wanted to leave. I said that was fine and to reel in his line. I was messing with the trolling motor and he said "Dad, I was fighing for no reason". Confused, I asked him what he meant. Then he showed me his jig.....the hook was broken right at the start of the bend.
    I imagine the look on my face was priceless when I remembered the end of a fishing with my daughter on Saturday. She got hung up in some brush and I broke the hook off trying to pull it free. She said that was just as well and that she wanted to go home for some hot chocolate anyway.
    I apologized all over myself for giving my son that rod and jig the next day. He said it was ok and that he had fun anyway. I sure felt like a heel anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the story. I have a 11 yr old and I know about the times when he "was getting frustrated and feeling defeated". You hate to see it happen but I guess that is just part of learning to hunt and fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same thing happen to myself,luckily I usually fish alone.

Was catfishing one night,went to relieve myself after an hour or so,there was my bluegill laying in the grass about 10' behind me,came off the hook on the backcast...no wonder I didn't have a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Your son stayed with it longer than we would playing his favorite video game. Our patience with them will teach them more than you would expect. I know my grandson sometimes get ready to go home before I do. God bless the fathers who try.
    It is not enough that a man should toil and provide,but that he be granted the pleasure of fishing with a friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Doodle, you may not realize it, but you have a pretty special son. He has a quality that's not found in many that age. It's called composure. I have a 7 year old, and a 9 year old son..........and they don't have much of that quality. Thanks for sharing.
    LJ
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............