PDA

View Full Version : Good Article About Bamboo

Larry-Southern Indiana
03-25-2005, 04:09 PM
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_other/article/0,1785,HGTV_3609_3610795,00.html.

LARRY

Larry-Southern Indiana
03-25-2005, 04:13 PM
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_other/article/0,1785,HGTV_3609_3610795,00.html.

MORE GOOD STUFF.....http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_plants_grasses/article/0,,HGTV_3607_1729256,00.html

VERY INTERESTING......

LARRY

lovetofish
03-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Good articles - here in N. La. we must have every typre known to man. We can't get rid of this stuff. I have made several condos - rangeing from 3 ft tall to 15 ft tall. They wrok great.

Moose1am
03-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Wish I knew someplace close to where I live that has some of the running ribozon root type bamboo. I need some for crappie condos. My neighbor has some buckets to give to me and I already have some quickcrete.

DmDuck
03-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Larry , does this cover transplanting "canereed" ? We brought up a bunch from Kentucky to build duck blinds out of , several bunches were put aside to start our own stock but it didn't take , any clue how to set it in this Indiana climate ?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/dmduck/DigiPics136.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/dmduck/DigiPics138.jpg

Makes for a great hunting blind , most of the brown stock you see has been there for 2 years , you just keep adding to it !!

FalconSmitty
03-25-2005, 08:42 PM
This company says it is easy to grow and plant. With instructionshttp://www.jmbamboo.com/planting.htm

fiddlefarter
03-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Ya'll be careful planting the running kind. Its best suited for somewhere you don't care about. Away from your house. Of course it won't get out of control if you cut it every year for condos. But bamboo is also the fastest growing plant known, I once heard there was a type in Asia that you could actually see growing. I guess if it gets too wooly you could burn it down or spray it with Arsenal. Rhizomes will still be there though.
When I buy my own property I'm gonna plant some cane and several oaks on the open, where I always got duckblind brush and crappie cover available. I already have a little cane growing on my hunting lease and I think when I fertilize my honeysuckle I might hit it a lick too. Might even try transplanting some to a more accessable area.

VietVet68
03-25-2005, 10:30 PM
I once heard there was a type in Asia that you could actually see growing.
<chuckle> I never saw it grow, but we had a variety just outside our perimeter that we had to keep cut down at least every two weeks, or anytime it was blocking our fire zone.

I thought that I read somewhere that when the climate is perfect it can grow 8"-12" in a 24 hour period. I can easily believe that.
Who would ever believe that you could catch Crappie in a Punji Pit.:)

DmDuck
03-26-2005, 09:31 AM
I think I'll make another border run and drive down to Kentucky , give it another try in about a month ..... VV68..... you missed a golden opportunity , you should have shipped some of that stuff home . Every golf course in America would have been calling you for bamboo and pampus grass !

VietVet68
03-26-2005, 10:06 AM
I think I'll make another border run and drive down to Kentucky , give it another try in about a month ..... VV68..... you missed a golden opportunity , you should have shipped some of that stuff home . Every golf course in America would have been calling you for bamboo and pampus grass !
<LOL> I could have shipped them Bamboo and Grass, but the Grass would not have been Pampus!

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
03-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Grass has came a long way since 68 :) I had an Uncle who died in Nam and, always wanted to ask him if the grass he smoked over there was seedless bud? I was 7 years old when he died. Donny caried a rosery with him in his pocket while he served. He was in a chopper and was thankful he was not on the ground. Even though the Chopper never went down he was killed by enemy fire. God Bless his soul. I will smoke with him someday in a better place.

Moose1am
03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
2000 miles and 35 to 40 years sure changes how we look at Bamboo. I use to think of bamboo and Southeast Asian Tigers. Now I see it as a fishing condo.

I read about those pungi pits and man those things sounded nasty. I heard that the VC dug deep pits and put bamboo in the bottom with the sharpend tops pointing upwards and the bottoms stuck in the ground. Then they smeared human excrement onto the points for good measure. I would have to fall into one of those pits. They probably did that before the war to capture large game such as deer or even tigers.

I sure am glad that we are now using that stuff for more peaceful purposes.

I live at 38 deg Latitude in Southern IN. I read the articles that Larry posted and it said that some species of bamboo can survive down to 20 deg F below Zero. But it gets that cold here at times. Not very often but enough times in ten years to kill the bamboo or slow it's growth. Now it should grow fine during our hot IN summers.

I will have to call the local county ag extension agent and find out if there is any bamboo growing here in Southern IN. He teaches the master gardening classes here in the area and I am sure that he would be in the know about bamboo if anyone is.

I like the way that dmR2ducks did his duck blinds.

Makes me wonder if we could transplant some crappie over to Vietnam or southeast aisa and if they would take? If you can't move the bamboo to the crappie why not move the crappie to the bamboo? LOL

<chuckle> I never saw it grow, but we had a variety just outside our perimeter that we had to keep cut down at least every two weeks, or anytime it was blocking our fire zone.

I thought that I read somewhere that when the climate is perfect it can grow 8"-12" in a 24 hour period. I can easily believe that.
Who would ever believe that you could catch Crappie in a Punji Pit.:)

DmDuck
03-26-2005, 12:14 PM
You should see the looks you get hauling a truck load home from Kentucky , I just know if we ever come in at night we're gonna be sitting along side the road with a State Trooper !!

kurt hanscom
03-27-2005, 10:42 PM
You should see the looks you get hauling a truck load home from Kentucky , I just know if we ever come in at night we're gonna be sitting along side the road with a State Trooper !!

DmDuck- I live just south of Cincinnatiand I have bamboo growing in my yard. It doesnt seem to get as tall as what you have in your blind, but it doesnt get a whole lot of sun and has spread a fair amount in 4 yrs. Definetly cold hardy. I drive through greensburg on a regular basis. I'd be happy to dig a box or two for you.

I also drive through Louisville regularly and have noticed a huge patch that I bet is 15 to 20 feet tall