PDA

View Full Version : Trolling motor battery questions

kyron4
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Hello, I use a 30 lbs. thrust transom mouned Motor Guide on my 10' jon boat. My current battery is a EverStart 24DC-6 (rated at 75 amp hours). It does well, but when moveing in wind and/or current it seems to lose power (slow down) after and hour or so.I'm looking at a Everstart MAXX-29 (rated at 125 amp hours). Will this battery keep the boat moving better,faster and longer ? I can't find how many amps my Motor Guide pulls, does anyone know ? Any advice or opinions on these batteries. Can't afford a high dollar battery , EverStart fits my budget best. -Thanks

jhef
02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
id stick with any 31 class battery, as long as its a deep cycle battery, no real need spending big money for a optima, you may want to try and get a bigger trolling motor so it doesnt have to work so hard, i had a 30 with samme deal, bought a 36 not much difference but i bought a bass pro brand its a 45 lb transom trolling motor and it pushes the boat all day long on one battery, i have it set up on a little 12 foot boat , just for a small restricted reservoir close by.

slowpole
02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I got a trojan deep cycle trolling motor batter last all day

Cane Pole
02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Put the motor up front. The trolling motor is more efficient pulling rather than pushing the boat. Less power effort to steer and maneuver. Try this. Prob want need a new battery if you do this. MHAO

Tom

Barnacle Bill
02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I agree with Tom. They work much better on the bow. Just one bolt and nut on most motors to take out to turn either the head or the motor around.