Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Novice Fisherman on Allatoona

TimD Guest

Question Novice Fisherman on Allatoona

Hi All,

Found the board on a Google search and hoping I can get some tips from everyone. I live in Woodstock and fish Lake Allatoona and Lanier, mostly Allatoona. I am a novice and have never really learned much about the methods, more of a worm on a hook fisherman.

We went to a crappie tournament and Field's Landing Park (Allatoona) recently and it was a total bust, only 1 person out of about 50 caught any fish at all!

I am stuck to the bank for now and would appreciate any tips that might help us to bring in some fish. I go mostly with my boy (he's 13) and sometimes my wife as well.

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Welcome

Hello Tim, Welcome to Georgia Crappie.Com. We are happy to have you aboard. This time of the year is the best time of the year for a crappie bank fisher person . The crappie should go on bed on this full moon and the days following the full moon.You can catch them with jigs and live minnows. I am in Savannah and not in your area but we have quite a few anglers from central Ga. that post on this board and are willing to help you. Good luck and hope you enjoy your time spent here with us. When you go let us hear from you. Jimmy S.

jugboat Guest

Hi Tim, yeah, I just got on Allatoona in my 14' aluminum johnboat, for the first time last Friday, and am learning my way around. I will suggest a couple of places for bank fishing that some people have told me about, but I have also been told that crappie are not quiete biting like they did last year at this time. Maybe the screwy weather is causing problems. You probably already know of them, since they are popular but here goes. First, on the way to Red Top Mtn park, on the left, before you go over the bridge, I talked to a guy who fishes there regularly and he said bite was slow right now. Also, near the Blockhouse boat ramp just north of Acworth, stop at Paw-Paw's store on the way, there is a jetty there. I'm just learning my way around, thanks for the post, maybe someone who knows Allatoona well will give some assist. I usually fish with my dog, your lucky if your wife likes to fish. Best of Luck, Robert M.

Post Thanks / Like

TimD,

I fished allatoona for my 2nd and 3rd time Friday and Saturday. Friday we caught 20 fish over 10" and Saturday morning we caught 14. Friday morning we fished the back of Sweet water creek. The mouth was full of boats and a lot of small fish. We were almost by ourselve in the back and seem to be catching more fish than anyone. They started out at about 6' deep, then they turned off. Finally, we figured them out. They went shallower. We started catching them about 2-3' below the surface. We fished with jigs only. Mostly black and Char. My wife and daughter came out for a while to joy ride, we fished for a while longer and went home. We only fished for a few hours on Saturday. My biggest fish was a 15.25" shown below. I'll bet they turned on Saturday afternoon, but I had other plans. I didn't get to fish Friday evening either. We also, caught fish along the banks in the open lake. We put out some bamboo condos. The guy at the dock ask us if we were trees unlimited. LOL. We told him we were limited. (Can only fit a few in the boat, they were around 12' tall). We had fun and we too are still trying to figure the water out. I have not fished up towards the dam. I hear that the water is much clearer. I guy also told me that his uncle comes during the week and wears them out. He said that it is like daylight and dark. There is a lot of pressure on some of the spots, but we caught the bigger fish out in open water while every one was blowing by us in their boats. I hoped this helps. I am just rambling on. People fish off the bank in sweet water creek. I am not sure how to drive there, but I am sure you can figure it out with a map. If anyone else has any comments on allatoona, we would sure appreciate them!
    Last edited by jfraley; 03-27-2005 at 08:06 PM.
    LET IT RIP!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

tim i have a nephew that lives in woodstock .he isent a fisherman . he is a computer and game fenick and animal lover . cant go to see him . my wife ie alerget to animals and most anything . some times i think she is alergent to me :D . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

jfraley, I'm glad someone was able to figure them out!!! I was out there Saturday but was up Stamp Creek, Water temp was 63+ but fish were suspended over deep water still. Thew most of the tackle box at them without even a bump! Went out to the deep channel in from of Wilderness Camp and had fish suspended at 35-50' over the 80' deep channel. There were a few folks with U rigs trying for striper with no luck! Now with the heavy rain we had yesterday/lastnight the lake will be mud for days!

TimD Guest

Thanks for the notes and tips. I tried the bank at Field's Landing again Saturday and brought in one about 8" long in the 4 hours I was there! :-) I tried jigs of every color, minnows, worms, crickets... you name it.

I've heard too that they are not biting like last year, the water was pretty murky when we went out.

I'll keep trying, I'm sure they'll perk up soon!

Tim