Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go-to lure.

TightLines<))>< Guest

Default Go-to lure.

Post some of your go-to baits and rigs for when the slabs get lockjaw. I've always gone to the road runner and tube.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink When they get "lockjaw" ...

Quote Originally Posted by TightLines<))><
    Post some of your go-to baits and rigs for when the slabs get lockjaw. I've always gone to the road runner and tube.
    slowing down the presentation, downsizing the bait, or going "live" is what I've been known to do. That is, of course, if the water conditions are only slightly out of whack ... and not totally messed up. When they are messed up, I usually just don't go there :p
    I use the RR marabou, tube jig, and marabou jig on a normal basis ... so, when conditions are good, and I still can't seem to get bites, even after downsizing or slowing the presentation, then I'll offer them something live.

When deciding on what live offering I will offer, availability is my first concern. I'd prefer to offer them something from their own foodsource biomass ... Brook Silversides, Shad, Fathead Minnows, Shiners, or some kind of bug larvae (in that order). If available, I'll use the smallest I can find/get.
    Fatheads, Shiners, and larvae are purchased. Shad are caught with a cast net. Brook Silversides are a whole other project, though, as they have to be dip netted during the hours of dark.

Alot of times, when we think the Crappie have lockjaw, the truth of the matter is that we are just not fishing where they are :D --- But, even if that's the case, you're still subject to catching other edible species, or at least something that will give you a tussle

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree CP!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree smaller is better when they are not aggressive with the bite.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, smaller bait will make a fish thats not feeding think "oh what the heck" but my go to is a black and chartruse yum 1.5 curly tail on a 32nd oz jig head
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Options

Vertical casting will sometimes work when all else fails. Something about the slow rise that will annoy them to bite. Crappiepappy has a good write up on it but I'm not smart enough to move it over here.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Here ya go ...

Quote Originally Posted by MAINEIAC
    Vertical casting will sometimes work when all else fails. Something about the slow rise that will annoy them to bite. Crappiepappy has a good write up on it but I'm not smart enough to move it over here.
    http://www.crappie.com/index.php?opt...id=35&Itemid=2

... cp

TightLines<))>< Guest

Default hmmm......

thats very interesting. im a bass angler and although its wise to slow it down when the bite gets tough, ive found that larger baits appeal to bass more. the big bass are not very active to start with because they dont like to waste all of their energy chasing forage. which is why they are ambush predators. the large, slow baits get their attention because they dont have to chase it and they are using very little energy to acquire such a big meal. thanks for the insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Black and yellow tube, but am getting comfortable with just a leadhead and minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confidence

The most important thing for me is to have confidence in the presentation I'm using. That usually means something I have caught a lot of fish with in similar situations. When I have confidence in my system I concentrate better, can fish longer, and its almost uncanny how the bites will happen again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast