Marker
    buoys Lite
    Spinning
    Tackle
    Crappie rigs
    Marker buoys
    Jigs

Best Location To Drift Fish
    For Crappie The Hardest part about catching crappie while drift fishing is locating the schools. You will need a topographical map of the area, and should have a good depth, fish finder. You can pick the topographical map up at the local bait store. (It's advisable to go there to get the latest fishing report anyway.) Crappie school in open water and if you can find the schools you can catch a good batch of crappie. Also it has been my experience , the crappie you catch in open water while drift fishing seem to be bigger. The first step you should before you get out on the water is locate the deepest part of body of water you are fishing on from your topographical map, this will be your starting point. You will be fishing the break area's on the bottom surface. To Locate a break area look for changes in depth on your depth finder. Any break deep to shallow, or shallow to deep are good spots to drift. Try to avoid any flat dead pan bottom surface areas. You will just waist your time in these areas

How to Set Your Drift for Crappie Fishing
    Locate the winds direction and set you boat in position to drift along the break. (change in bottom depth) Make sure your boat drifts along the deeper side of the break. You will use your trolling motor to keep your drift in position along the deep side of the break. If you don't have a trolling motor your have to use you boat motor to get back in position. (this can spook the fish, thats why a trolling motor is recommended. The Depth finder will be your guide to stay along the deep side of the break, and to locate the fish. Set up a weighted crappie rig to just touch bottom with sinker position your baits about 18 to 24 inches off the bottom. As you drift, watch the rod tip, it will bounce up and down slightly as the weight drags along the bottom. If the tip of the rod remains still the sinker is not in contact with the bottom.When you catch the first fish drop one of your marker buoys to mark the spot. Continue to drift until another fish is caught or about 75 yards, then drop another buoy. This marks your drift location for a return drift or anchor position. Drift about 50 more yards past the second buoy then start up your boat motor and go around the buoys approximately 75yards away. Know move your boat back in position for another drift. Normally the school will be concentrated in one area. Keep working the spot until you get no more bites. If your lucky you can catch your limit and a short time.

You can use this technique on any body of water so have fun! And good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

lots of helpful info thanks fleagle
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

I visited your site. I find it hard to believe that the picture of Terry Hickman, holding two fish, and the claim that it is a 3 1/2 lber in his right hand. Any so called "Old School" Crappie fisherman would guesstimate that fish at around slightly over two pounds, and I wouldn't even put it at 2 pounds since he is holding both fish out so far.
    Not trying to knock your work, but if you had ever even seen a 3 lber in person, you too might have questioned the pic. It's great that you share your knowledge here at C.C and we all appreciate it very much. But if you are here to peddle your goods only, you'll be called on that one in a heartbeat. There are some great Crappie Fishermen and Women that frequent this forum, and I can't remember any of them not helping someone else if it's in their particular realm of expertise. There are several professional guides who are members of this forum, and each and every one of them will bend over backwards to help out another member.
    Thank you for your drift fishing info. It should help those members who want to give it a try.

As for this fish my daughter caught a couple of seasons back, we were drifting, using "daddys tryin to catch a fish method". I only have 35 years chasing them buggers and don't near know enough. But, I do know, that her fish was a mere 2 lbs 10 oz. Funny how it looks quite a bit bigger than Mr. Hickmans.
    http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...10100111tu.jpg
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 02-10-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper
    I visited your site. I find it hard to believe that the picture of Terry Hickman, holding two fish, and the claim that it is a 3 1/2 lber in his right hand. Any so called "Old School" Crappie fisherman would guesstimate that fish at around slightly over two pounds, and I wouldn't even put it at 2 pounds since he is holding both fish out so far.
    Not trying to knock your work, but if you had ever even seen a 3 lber in person, you too might have questioned the pic. It's great that you share your knowledge here at C.C and we all appreciate it very much. But if you are here to peddle your goods only, you'll be called on that one in a heartbeat. There are some great Crappie Fishermen and Women that frequent this forum, and I can't remember any of them not helping someone else if it's in their particular realm of expertise. There are several professional guides who are members of this forum, and each and every one of them will bend over backwards to help out another member.
    Thank you for your drift fishing info. It should help those members who want to give it a try.
    I caught a bunch a 3 pounders just like that one.:D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful! Thanks!
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

Default Look'n For My Waders.....

well let me start by call'n B.S. on this thread,,,
    crappie.com has sooooo many members that give yer same type of info for FREE.
    and the guides thats visit this site daily WILL see right through it,, yeah you'll get some orders,, and you'll hack off some members in the process,, thats up ta you

but you can ask EARNEST PATY about how the forum attack'd him right outta the gates,,
    he'll give ya dvd if ya don't like it....

now with that be'n said lets get on with it

this fish only hit 4.22lbs

JAKE aka (((crappie.com gastapo)))
    ~~~~~~~({<(((((((*>
    unOFFICIAL Mayor of BLUFF Landing, OK

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  spam.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  27.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fleagle
    Drift Fishing For Crappie: A Productive Way To Catch Some Big Crappie

Equipment You Will Need
    Boat
    Trolling
    motor
    Marker
    buoys Lite
    Spinning
    Tackle
    Crappie rigs
    Marker buoys
    Jigs

Best Location To Drift Fish
    For Crappie The Hardest part about catching crappie while drift fishing is locating the schools. You will need a topographical map of the area, and should have a good depth, fish finder. You can pick the topographical map up at the local bait store. (It's advisable to go there to get the latest fishing report anyway.) Crappie school in open water and if you can find the schools you can catch a good batch of crappie. Also it has been my experience , the crappie you catch in open water while drift fishing seem to be bigger. The first step you should before you get out on the water is locate the deepest part of body of water you are fishing on from your topographical map, this will be your starting point. You will be fishing the break area's on the bottom surface. To Locate a break area look for changes in depth on your depth finder. Any break deep to shallow, or shallow to deep are good spots to drift. Try to avoid any flat dead pan bottom surface areas. You will just waist your time in these areas

How to Set Your Drift for Crappie Fishing
    Locate the winds direction and set you boat in position to drift along the break. (change in bottom depth) Make sure your boat drifts along the deeper side of the break. You will use your trolling motor to keep your drift in position along the deep side of the break. If you don't have a trolling motor your have to use you boat motor to get back in position. (this can spook the fish, thats why a trolling motor is recommended. The Depth finder will be your guide to stay along the deep side of the break, and to locate the fish. Set up a weighted crappie rig to just touch bottom with sinker position your baits about 18 to 24 inches off the bottom. As you drift, watch the rod tip, it will bounce up and down slightly as the weight drags along the bottom. If the tip of the rod remains still the sinker is not in contact with the bottom.When you catch the first fish drop one of your marker buoys to mark the spot. Continue to drift until another fish is caught or about 75 yards, then drop another buoy. This marks your drift location for a return drift or anchor position. Drift about 50 more yards past the second buoy then start up your boat motor and go around the buoys approximately 75yards away. Know move your boat back in position for another drift. Normally the school will be concentrated in one area. Keep working the spot until you get no more bites. If your lucky you can catch your limit and a short time.

You can use this technique on any body of water so have fun! And good luck!

good post!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Since this post was made ...

without any direct reference to the member's website ad, and given freely as "advice" for a specific fishing method ... I will let it stand. The link to the ad is in the member's signature ... as are many other member's website links, some of which have absolutely nothing to do with fishing.

For those that feel that this post is nothing more than spam, let me remind you that there have been other "products/services" hawked on this site, that were at first look considered spam and later turned out to be quite useful.

According to his "other" post, Fleagle is aware of the "advertising" limits & rules of this site ... see his Walleye Board post.

Let's not jump to conclusions on his intentions. Remember - No member is "required" to read, or purchase, anything posted/listed on this site.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank you crappie daddy

thank you crappie daddy, from your pow banner i am assuming you are a nam vet. I am a vet also. I also have two sons in the army national guard, one leaving for for iraq in march. I am a honest person crappie daddy ,
    and thanks for supporting me.
    mark fleagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast