Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how do crappie spon

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how do crappie spawn

a while backi read a post on this subject but doing a search i havenbt ben able to find it . it said they fan a bed like a blugill but most of the time they wer in deeper water . was telling a frind of mine this and he said they swim around and sprey the eggs on roots and aeras like that and the males come behind and sprey the m to fertil the eggs . he is 10 years older and 10 years wiser but the artickle said they fan the beds . if anyone has this artickle i would like to make a copy of it . just post it here or tell me the link . thanks
    Last edited by papasage; 03-25-2005 at 08:44 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

The males may fan the eggs while they are growing after they are fertilized. They fan the eggs or the nest to bring in fresh oxygenated water and to remove any waste products from the nest area. Having 30,000 to 200,000 tiny eggs are dividing and growing, respiring, and producing waste can cause a local depletion of oxygen around the eggs and a build up of toxic waste products. By fanning the next the male crappie is moving the toxins away from the nest and bring in freshly oxygenated water. He also will stay there to guard the next from predators. Many criters will dine on fish eggs. Not just fish but many aquatic insects would love to have an fish eggs supper.

Remember that a lot of the time the crappie will be spawning in very shallow waters in the very back of a bay. There may not be a lot of water movement, current, in those areas.

The crappie may spawn in deeper water if the lake water is clear and the sunlight can penetrate deeper. But if the water is stained or muddy then the sunlight can't penetrate that deep into the water column so the crappie will be spawning in shallower water.

The eggs need warm clean water with lots of oxygen and sunlight to develop and hatch. Actually they need the warmth of the sunlight to grow. Live is a chemical reaction and we all know that chemical reactions go faster when it's warmer. Heat speeds up life's chemical reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    a while backi read a post on this subject but doing a search i havenbt ben able to find it . it said they fan a bed like a blugill but most of the time they wer in deeper water . was telling a frind of mine this and he said they swim around and sprey the eggs on roots and aeras like that and the males come behind and sprey the m to fertil the eggs . he is 10 years older and 10 years wiser but the artickle said they fan the beds . if anyone has this artickle i would like to make a copy of it . just post it here or tell me the link . thanks
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Reproduction

At the beginning of the spawning season, males build nests, using their fins to sweep out a disc-shaped area on the sandy or gravelly bottom of a lake or river, within vegetation. The nests are built fairly close together, with as many as 35 nests in a 10-square yard area. Spawning takes place from April to June, in waters that run from 60 to 70° Fahrenheit (15 to 21° C). Crappies begin to spawn at the age of two. Males try to attract females to their nests, where they mate and the female lays 10,000 to 200,000 eggs. She leaves the eggs behind and goes to mate with more males, while the male guards the nest and the eggs until they hatch in three to five days. He then defends them for another three to four days, until they are old enough to leave the nest. During their first year, the fishlings grow to be two to three inches. They eat mainly aquatic insects and plankton until they reach four to five inches, when they switch to the adult diet of mainly fish.

http://www.wildinfo.net/facts/Crappi...ts/Crappie.asp

If this isn't enough search Pomoxis nigromaculatus

spawn