Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: newbie needin help

TightLines<))>< Guest

Default newbie needin help

hi im new to the forum and i needed some advice. i live in in st.louis, mo and mostly bass fish. im heading down to kentucky to fish in my first crappie tourney at the end of march. i fished for crappie before but never in a tournament. i am fairly skilled in bass fishing but i was needing some tips as far as some basic tackle and techniques to bring along with me. any info will be helpful. thank you.
    Edit/Delete Message

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the boards tightlines. You'll get alot of help here but also post on the Kentucky boards and the ones fishing the same lake youre going to might give you some tips on what theyre biting as the time nears your trip. Dont forget to keep us posted as how you do.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Basically the same advise that I give to all tournament fishermen, Bass or Crappie, whatever.

First, as a rookie tournament fisherman be prepared get your Butt kicked at first while you learn the ropes. Don't get discouraged, analize what you learn at each tournament and remember it for the future. Don't ever skip the weigh-in, you can learn more there than you imagine, talk to the winners after the tournament and you will get better information.

Don't go out there prepared to enjoy a nice day on the lake. There's only one reason to be there, learn and WIN. The limit is usually small, 7 fish most of the time.

Goal #1 is to get the limit of legal fish. After that . Goal #2, look for and target larger fish. If you are on a bunch of fish that are biting but are barely legal, LEAVE them. You're not there to have fun.

Tournament fishing is fun but it's not for everyone.

These are just my opinions, for what thre're worth. (and the're free)
    Good fishing.