Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best non-spinning crappie reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best non-spinning crappie reel?

I only like baitcasting and spincasting reels, so what would be a good one for crappie, and what pound line?

Thanks
    If you've got fishin' fever, I've got the fishin' PLAGUE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a spincast. Casting light jigs with a baitcaster won't be easy. The best spincast reels out today are the Zebco Omega, Daiwa Goldcast, and Abu Garcia Abumatic. They all have good drags and oscillating spools to aid in line lay. They will all handle 4-6lb line.

You could also check out the old Johnson Century (not the newer models, but the original.) Those reels were built like tanks, and the drags are pretty good. I've landed a good number of 8-10lb cats on them. You can still get them on ebay.

IMO, though, none of these reels can compare to a nice spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Baitcaster would be the Wally Marshall BPS model. I use several of the Zebco gold 33 trigger spins on my tightline and trolling rods. They do ok.
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

pfleuger has some real nice stuff. three sizes of underspins, as well as the standard spincast. Have been seriously looking at the whole gamut of that type reels, and the pfleugers seem to be the nicest put togather. Great smooth drags as well. Roughly $25. is not bad either.

Post Thanks / Like

garcia or ambassador 10 lb. line
    motor

"Just an ole sinner saved by grace."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like you... I just don't like spinning reels. I think many spinning reels are built better than the spincasters but I just don't like using them.
    I fish with baitcasters or triggerspins nearly 100% of the time. There are a million good baitcasters out there. Some cost nearly a million bucks!!
    As for spincasters they are far better than they were several years ago. They cast as far as I need them to for crappie. I admit for longer casts or winching a big cat in a spinning reel is a better choice than a spincast reel. For that I use a baitcaster.
    I have the Zebco 33 triggerspin and think it is heavy for a doodlesocking rod but it is ok to hang in a rod holder. I don't think I'll buy another one.
    I have a Quantum XTT 00 XtraLite. Performs ok. I like others more.
    I have several Zebco 11 triggerspins. I like these reels a lot. You can find them on sale sometimes for about 11 bucks. I would buy more. You can hold or carry one of these all day and not feel that it is heavy at all. When wading mine end up floating under the rod handle if I get busy getting a fish out of the net and on the stringer.
    I have one each of the Pfluger 1806 and the Microspin U. They are more than the little Zebco reels, about 25 bucks, but look and feel much better. One is on a dock shooter rod and one is on a new 9' Wally Marshall rod. Haven't used either one yet but I think I'm gonna like them a lot.
    All of these small reels will really coil line tight and if you use cheap line it will look like a slinky in no time. If you use better line and replace it once a year it won't coil very bad.