Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for targeting larger crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for targeting larger crappie?

Just curious what you guys do.......especially in tournaments as you have to have a way to target the larger ones? All I've figured out is to try and remember where I've caught larger fish in the past and simply try to catch BIG NUMBERS and hope there are a few heavyweights in the mix. I enjoy catching a bunch, but on days when they are really biting I would rather try to catch several 14" plus fish rather than load the boat w/ 10" to 12" eaters.

Post Thanks / Like

They are usually in deeper water, and don't hang around big schools of smaller fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I use larger baits. 2"-3" bodies. Works too. In a tournament I want a limit (7) of big fish, not a livewell full of perfect 10's.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Casey
    It is my belief that bigger crappie use deeper water but more importantly, they use smaller cover. I can say with certainty in my experience that, smaller PVC condos or a good old fashion isolated, rotton stump in deeper water will generally hold bigger fish on average than a 30' wide brushpile. I'm not sure why this is but maybe the bigger fish are a little territorial. They can defend that old rotten stump against smaller fish but not a huge brushpile? Thanks.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I think that small is better too. look at it this way,when you go to the park, do the older people get right in the middle of all the kids? No, they are sitting on the bench watching them play. They are off by themselves, maybe not a mile away, just away from the others. It's the same with deer. The biggest bucks weren't born smart. They were lucky enough to make it the first 3-4 years and found somewhere to go to keep from being shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Totally Agree

Very well said Crappie10. I like the deer analogy. It's the same with crappie or probably any fish. A 4 1/2 year old deer is not the same animal as a 18 month old deer. A 2lb 8oz. crappie is not the same fish as a 10"er. Very interesting subject. Thanks.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use small minnows and/or jigs but put one or 2 out with big minnows.
    Alsost always catch big fish with big bait and i have noticed they usually come from small cover rather than in the big pods of average fish. But if the bigger ones are around, they know it takes the same energy to grab a big bait so they don't bother with a "kids meal" if they have a choice...LOL!!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
    I use larger baits. 2"-3" bodies. Works too. In a tournament I want a limit (7) of big fish, not a livewell full of perfect 10's.
    I agree. I use some Walleye jigs. Hit 'em in the head and knock 'em out of the tree.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, lots of truth being spoken here! (At least in my opinion )

Another sort of angle on the big vs. small cover - I think the reasons
    said are right, but think also most of the big cover, around here, everybody
    and their brother fishes - community holes There probably were some
    bigguns there once upon a time, but they long gone into Crisco.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I use walleye and smallmouth tubes and curl tails for big crappie.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast