Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite way to crappie fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite way to crappie fish

If you had to choose one type of bait to fish, one method to fish it and one season to fish in - what would they be? This may be a good way for each of us to show different ways to catch crappie.

I have been primarily a crappie fisherman during the spawn (march - april). This has involved casting ultra lite rod/reel combination using the smallest sassy shad (before they were discontinued - I believe around 1 3/4") over stake beds. Usually in shallow water areas - less than 10 feet of water catching them about 3-5 ft deep. Simply cast the sassy shad jig w/ 1/16oz. jighead thru and around the stake beds.

This has been the majority of my crappie fishing experience. I have used minnow for deeper crappie on some blue holes and such around the Mississippi River, but I never enjoyed it a much as catching them during the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 round head jig with a Cubby nailtail. Any time of the year. Cast and retrieve- slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine would be tight lining using minnows around structure.

Post Thanks / Like

From March thru December longline trolling,most of the time useing 1/8 roadrunners with live minnows.Jan. and Feb. casting 1/8 leadhead with a slider into deep brushpiles.

Post Thanks / Like

Default method

Tightlining tubes. Love the thump

Post Thanks / Like

Prespawn, Spider rig - trolling stump flats in 8-15 feet of water with jigs and minnows.

Dipping tube jigs in shallow brush during spawn.

Throwing at 8-12' brush, counting down jigs

Deepwater trolling - winter time, 30-40' with minnows

Longline trolling, postspawn and summertime suspended fish.

Sorry, trying to pick one favorite method is kinda like trying to eat just one Lays potato chip... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Jig and Bobber, in the spring & fall. Or throwing a small twister tail, with a Slow crank. Twister tail is a good way to find them. Favorite color charetreuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite!

Fishing in January and February when the nites are cold, the lites are on the docks, and the small fry are circling the luminescent glow of a bulb. When the handle turns are slow enough to cause a single thump on a micro jig. The fog on the water that surrounds you when you're easing to the next dock. The quiet conversation between fishing buddies that occurs in outings like this, only to be interrupted by the occastional ringing of a jig off the lite cover. And a livewell full of mature fish waiting to be filleted for our next f-fry. Thats my best way to fish. I hope everyone makes memories like that. Rollcaster..............
    Amateur Chaser of Those Thump Thumps to
    Raise Those Hand Kandys!

IG: Krappie Krane

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting Jig

Casting a 1/16 oz jig to shoreline cover and along drop offs. Love to feel that tick and feel the line tighten up.

Post Thanks / Like

Love jig or minnow and bober in April along shorline structure. There's something about seeing that bober go under that just can't be explained..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast