Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default My setup

I’m starting to get my rods, reels, and tackle ready for the upcoming season. I’m planning on doing mainly casting/jigging and float fishing. I’ll be experimenting on roadrunners, tubes, grubs, artificial soft plastics, and live baits. I only have two spinning rods/reels as of now and I’m not sure if it’s the right setup.

• 6 ft medium light rod with a Shimano Symetre 1500, probably for casting/jigging.

• 7 ft Shimano Crucial rod, medium/extra fast tip, with a Shimano Stradic 2500, for float fishing.

Are the combos I have right for the fishing setup or are there better recommendations?

I’m also planning on using 6 lb fluorocarbon instead of mono. Good idea or should I just stick to mono.

Conditions I will usually be fishing in are fairly open water, moderate timber, occasional weed lines, which I will be fishing from a boat. Thanks!

I'd rather be fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Your outfits are a tad heavy for my tastes but should work fine. I like longer rods for float fishing, but I usually fish from shore and rarely fish a slip float. The Symetre and Stradic are great reels.

I'd go with mono and, if you want, use a flouro leader. I would never spool flourocarbon -- too expensive!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few of the 10' poles with Shamino Spinning reels I really like for long line trolling. It helps to keep the line from getting into the big motor prop while pulling with the TM.

My Favorite rod for tight lining is a Light Action 7' St. Croix, but I also really like a 5' Falcon Light action rod I use a lot. I like the 10' for reaching out farther when tied up, but also use the other shorter ones when right over the fish.

I have a few other ultra lights I like a lot too, but a lot of my fishing over the next few months will be long line trolling. Maybe a little spider rigging style, just not so many rods and then the 10' rods also help getting the jigs away from the boat a little.

Oh and forgot the fly rod I plan on using a lot this year since I finally got a nice one. I can't wait for them to get into that 2' of water.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The flourocarbon retains memory too quick. I'd stick with mono.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

The flourocarbon retains memory too quick. I'd stick with mono.
    I was just thinking that it would be nice since it’s got little to no stretch, so it’ll be easier to detect the light bites.
    Last edited by Fullspectrum; 02-07-2008 at 11:37 PM.

I'd rather be fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fullspectrum
    I was just thinking that it would be nice since it’s got little to no stretch, so it’ll be easier to detect the light bites.
    If that's what you're looking for, try a co-polymer like Silver Thread AN40. It has all my favorite qualities of mono, but doesn't stretch very much at all. It's my favorite line for vertical jigging, and the ONLY line I use for light bites in the Winter.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Full where did you get the sig pic from? I really like it

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Full where did you get the sig pic from? I really like it
    I made it myself.

I'd rather be fishing!