Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jerkbaits 4 Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerkbaits 4 Crappie

I've heard a lot about people catching crappie on jerk baits. How well does this work? What kind of jerk baits do you use? Size? Color? Rod? Methods? Time of year?

Thanks for any info.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Have never caught 1 on a jerk bait, but caught 1 this spring on POP-R while bass fishing a pond. First time ever.

But back to your question, saw an article in In-Fisherman 1 time about using jerk baits for crappie, but have never tried them. You might check out there web-site to find the article.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a nice crappie once on a shad colored Husky Jerk....but was green carp fishing at the time. Never really tried throwing one while exclusively crappie fishing.

I'd say you could probably troll with one like you would using other crankbaits and catch Crappie. You'd probably have to rig it Carolina rig style to keep the bait down though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used broke back repalas on several occasions to catch crappie when the water warms and the spawn hits. I use it in the shallows slow reeling it on top. Not really a jerking action, but allowing it to break the surface.

It is a whole lot of fun when they hit like that.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I'll check out In-Fisherman and see what I come up with. I'm also looking forward to trying this method out, nothing like trial and error! If I find a patter or have success I will post it!

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

I've done well on X-Raps by Rapala. Caught tons and tons of bass on them, and quite a few crappie. I use the XR-8 size, a little more than 3 inches long and is a quarter oz. if I remember correctly. Olive green was the best color in the pond I fished.

Post Thanks / Like

shockley
    I have caught my biggest crappie on jerkbaits fishing for bass, mostly fished husky jerks back then so thats what i ciaught them on. big 15 plus inch fish. fished a everstart at sam rayburn years ago and my partner was throwing a 1/2 oz rattle trap caught so many big crappie on that we almost quit bass fishing.

best to throw it on a 6.6 or 7 ft medium rod with 10- 12lb line, mono or fluoro. make a long cast pull or jerk the rod forward 2-3 times then allow the lure to stop or suspend for up to 60 second, ease up slack then repeat. bites come at the stop, during the pause as lure suspends or floats up or as you begin to jerk again.

color didn't seem to matter usually used clown, green chrome, some red, tranlucent, and chart/purple

Post Thanks / Like

I caught one on a jerkbait once while bass fishing too. It was a bigger jerk bait, but I can't remember what color.