Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanna start using more painted jigheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default wanna start using more painted jigheads

hello fellow crappie fisherman and women...i have alway's just used regular unpainted lead head's. was wanting to know what some of the jighead's and or brand's that work best for you. color's and style's. there's so much to choose from. also is it cheaper to paint your own and if so, is the powder paint or the regular paint better? just would like some opinion's before i make purchases. i have noticed when iv'e bought the 1/8 ounce jighead's the hook is to long in my opinion. do they offer 1/8 ounce but with a smaller hook similar to the 1/16 size. thank's for the input and good fishing to all!

jeff the crappieslayer
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i usually just go to bps and get the pack of 64 multicolor jigheads
    the have 2 colors on eachjig head
    with 8 or 10 different colors
    and its about 8 dollars i think
    but thats a really good deal i think

Post Thanks / Like

and the eyes are already busted out

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1/8 oz. jigs with #8, #8, #4 and #2 hooks so yes you can get different size hooks in most any weight if you bet them from someone like me that carries all sizes that I can.

If you tie your own then buy you jig heads fro someone like GrouseFly on this site.

If you need any jig with or with out painted heads check out my web site.

Use powder paint.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of folks here can make you custom jigheads with the size hooks you want on the size head you want. I'm not sure on their price but look into it and look into the price of powder paint and see if you want to do it yourself. It takes a little time, but it's worth it and you can get all of the colors you want. For paint, I'd use powder paint and make sure you bake them so the head won't crack or chip.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used plain unpainted jig heads for years and am totally convinced that I can catch just as many fish with them as with the painted ones. I have been powder painting a lot of mine lately because I think they are prettier, not because they catch more fish.

I'm also constantly experimenting with different things to prove my theories one way or the other.

I tie my jigs on #4 hooks most of the time. 1/16, 1/8 & 1/4 oz.

Recently I have been using bigger baits and jig heads to see what would happen. Result: I'm catching bigger fish with fewer dinks. I used a 1/2 oz head with a 1/0 hook with a 3" bait last weekend and did very well.

I also used the BPS 1/4 oz heads mentioned above and they worked very well. (and they are pretty) hook size is fine by the way. Try a bigger body, you might be surprised.

Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mostly 1/16 w/ #4 or #6 sickle hooks. Will sometimes use 1/32 with same hook numbers. All of my heads are powder coated.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,
    Why don't you ask the guys on the mo. board. Buggs, buzzy, beagle can help you out.I get 900 ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmanmo
    Jeff,
    Why don't you ask the guys on the mo. board. Buggs, buzzy, beagle can help you out.I get 900 ready to go.

thanx buzzy, ya i talked with old bugjuice on the phone he's gonna show me the rope's:D trying to broaden my horizon's:rolleyes:
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

if you want something to do to make a hobbie out of it i purchased some powder paint from jansnetcrafe.com. i have never done this before but it was a lot easier than i thought. my jig heads come out verry good. just something to piddle with if you know what i mean.
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast