Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What jigs to buy??

Post Thanks / Like

Default What jigs to buy??

I was asked recently on another forum about buying new jigs & baits. I know from experience that we are all looking for that magic bait, but.....

I already have way more than I'll ever use. That being said I still buy all sorts of new stuff... "Just in case", plus I like to experiment a bit.

A person with limited experience needs to learn to use a few basic lures well before trying a lot of different stuff.
    After you become pretty profficient then you can experiment a little and gain a little edge now and then.

When you're a rookie you make big gains in knowledge and profficency quickly. Later your gains are smaller but you will try most anything to get "Just a little better".

So....at first, fewer is better. A few small jigs, light and dark, a few bigger jigs, and then learn the best presentations.

It's still mostly about "where and how", not "what with".
    Last edited by ERNEST PATY; 02-06-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Good fishing.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

sound advice

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always fished for crappies with the traditional float and a minnow. Sometimes with a jig and grub, but that’s all that I’ve ever fished with for crappies.

This year, I’m making the effort to try new lures and different techniques. I’ve heard so much about the Roadrunner and I bought two different types…the marabou and the plastic grub. Still don’t have a clue how to use them. I’ve been told to do a slow retrieve with them.

I know plenty about bass fishing and spent enough time on them and now it’s time to try something different. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd rather be fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

What jigs to buy? Thats easy, mine!!! J/K. You always have good advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ernest,

Your post here, and your comments on another current thread about unpainted jig heads - are like a breath of fresh air for this forum. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

It's simple, in porportion the body is so much larger than the head, the head is hardly noticed. Plus the fish are striking the body, not the head. So why waste the time and money on painted jigs? I know they look really nice, but isn't it about catching fish??

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of colors in my box, but it is a rare day when I go past say 3-4 different colors. It has to be very slow for me to get past 4 different colors.

I paint almost (there may have been a dozen or so that went unpainted out of all) every head that I sell and clear the eyes out of each one if needed. Someone has to tell me the really want unpainted heads and even then I give the option of a clear coat or silver powder paint I use for unpainted heads. If someone really want the oxidizes look then fine I will send unpainted heads, but only then.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FishingDog
    It's simple, in porportion the body is so much larger than the head, the head is hardly noticed. Plus the fish are striking the body, not the head. So why waste the time and money on painted jigs? I know they look really nice, but isn't it about catching fish??
    Craig-DITTO!!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Ernest.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What With

I think the "what with" gives a person confidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast