Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: When will I be able to catch them??

Post Thanks / Like

Cool When will I be able to catch them??

I put out the x-mas trees (18) that I asked about earlier (Putting out new structure), my question now is how long before the crappies will relate to them where I can actually catch them consistently. Once the ice melts they will sink in 12 to 20 feet of water. Again, there is no other underwater structure besides a few shoreline trees so they should be magnets, but who knows...... Any ideas guys, and gals...

one shot

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you and what kind of lake are you on?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by one shot
    I put out the x-mas trees (18) that I asked about earlier (Putting out new structure), my question now is how long before the crappies will relate to them where I can actually catch them consistently. Once the ice melts they will sink in 12 to 20 feet of water. Again, there is no other underwater structure besides a few shoreline trees so they should be magnets, but who knows...... Any ideas guys, and gals...

one shot
    I hate to say it but if you haven't anchored these trees in some way to the bottom then you have wasted your time. They won't be placed where you wanted them. As the ice melts and breaks up they will move with the ice chunks to a different location and then will drop.
    The local NRD tried that around here, and placed the tree piles on the ice, along the channels of the local lakes, and as the ice melted it broke off and drifted to different locations and then fell through the ice. A lot of them ended up down at the dam and made a mess of the rip rap. They thought the ice would all melt at the same time and the trees would just fall straight down to the bottom. Now they have trees scattered all over the lake with no rhyme or reason.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

To your reply Grizz I am in Michigan on a decent sized private lake(no gas engines), the lake really isn't private, but there is no public access. It has a river flowing thru it year round and an outlet that runs over a little spillway that supplies water for the local sewage plant. Once the fish get in from the river, they can't get out... And yes Eager Beaver, We secured them. I have the trees in buckets (60lbs concrete each). We tied all of the buckets together and then cut and chopped a hole in the ice. We tied another string to the one that was connected to all of the tree buckets and then tied that to another bigger bucket (120lbs concrete), and dropped it to the bottom of the lake. Once it all falls I'll go back out with my gps and locate them again. One Shot

Post Thanks / Like

i live by lake st marys in ohio and a lot of the home owners along the channels put their trees out on the ice , but most had anchors on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it should work.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

It wont take 'em long at all...
    TEACH SOMEONE TO FISH.......

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that as soon as the needles fall off you will catch more fish.