Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How long does it take???

Post Thanks / Like

Question How long does it take???

This past weekend me and my brother put 18 x-mas trees (in buckets using 60lbs concrete each) on the ice over 12 to 20 feet of water on this lake that I know has big crappies (15 inch) in it because I've caught a few of them. The deepest part of the lake is about 35 feet but theres no underwater structure at all, just weedlines that they relate to. My question is how long does it take before the crappies start using the structure to the point where I can fish over it?

oneshot

Post Thanks / Like

I have placed structure and caught fish the next weekend, but with trees it takes a bit longer. They like them better after the needles die off and they get some goo growing on them. Might be a few months but dont be afraid to try them out right away. They may relate to them as current breaks or temperature breaks.
    Some trees are sprayed with flame retardents, pesticides now too and that can put them off for a while too.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Needles are highly acidic so the fish avoid them.

not the smartest thing to do.....

Next time use PVC....

Post Thanks / Like

I let my trees dry out and beat most of the needles off before I sink them. Probably helps.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt s.
    Needles are highly acidic so the fish avoid them.

not the smartest thing to do.....

Next time use PVC....
    acidic yes .... but i have over the years used x-mas trees and they WILL HOLD FISH . all the wildlife depts. use them and granted they are much better to fish with out the needles. jmo

however pvc is a wise choice !!:D
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

"Not the smartest thing to do"!!! That's why I joined this site, to learn from guys who have fished for crappie for years!! I did inquire from the main site before choosing xmas trees though. I didn't decide on pvc or bamboo primarily because the head honcho at the housing association of the private lake where I set the structure at said I could either put out xmas trees or bamboo. And I have no idea where to get bamboo at here in Michigan. Anyway I did get most of the needles off already so hopefully I'll get a few crappies on the structure in no time. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for your input and suggestions. One Shot

Post Thanks / Like

i like to trim about half the branches out then put the tree in a fire just long enough to get rid of the needles without really burning the tree, seems to work real well, have been doing it this way for quite a few years
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Slabsrus,

I'll do that next year, seems like a couple of folks have suggested taking as many needles off as possible. You learn as you go I suppose.

One Shot