Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wild minnows vs store-bought

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wild minnows vs store-bought

I recently read an article about the benefits of wild trapped minnows versus bait shop minnows. I have trapped and seined minnows in the past for catfish and bass mainly because larger minnows and chubs are not cheap. But crappie minnows are cheap enough that I usually just buy them and haven't really tried wild minnows. Is there really a benefit to using a wild minnow instead of a bait shop minnow?
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick
    I recently read an article about the benefits of wild trapped minnows versus bait shop minnows. I have trapped and seined minnows in the past for catfish and bass mainly because larger minnows and chubs are not cheap. But crappie minnows are cheap enough that I usually just buy them and haven't really tried wild minnows. Is there really a benefit to using a wild minnow instead of a bait shop minnow?
    Only benefit I can see is wild ones are natural forage. if you do fine on store bought and don't want the hassle of trapping them then don't worry with with them. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The closest place for me to buy minnows is 1 hr drive or I would buyem.

On other hand as many traps as I have lost in past it probably would have been just as cheap to drive and getem.

I have used both & cant tell alot of difference on species I luck up & catch.(I havent lucked up a crappie in a couple years now.But for bass or catfish I couldnt tell no difference in them for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Wild ones are usually harder to keep alive.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to do the minnow trap thing and catch my own minnows,but I now usually just buy them.I don't see any difference in my catch rate either way,plus the bait store minnows are fairly cheap and alot easier all around.If I had to go way out of my way to buy minnows,or the price went way up then I would still get my own.

Post Thanks / Like

Never seemed to make much of a difference for me crappie fishing, but if you ever want to fish for smallmouth in a stream use the natural minnows. I have no idea why, but I can catch probably 15 to 1 when using minnows out of the stream when fishing for smallmouth. As for crappie though....in my experience its lots easier to just buy some minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

That was my thought. Just wondering if I was missing something. The natural forage in my home lake is shad, and they are darn near impossible to keep alive especially once hooked. I'm sure after all these years of bait shop minnows being dumped in the lake by fishermen that there is a decent forage base of them in the lake as well.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com