Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor problem...help wanted!!!

drum655 Guest

Default Motor problem...help wanted!!!

I have a 7.5 hp gamefisher which i know are not the greatest motors but it has been great for me until now. When i turn the choke all the way off the motor shuts off and I don't know why. It almost sounds like the motor just chokes itself off like the choke was all the way open. It also has a tendensy to overheat it think. what may be causing these problems. Any pointers would be great, I can't stand to bank fish any longer. Its time for little jon to do its work. Thanks a lot!!!

Scanoe Guest

Default Motor problems

Since I don't know what you have done so far I'll recommend a couple of things to do and you can go from there. Do you have a strong water stream coming out of the motor when it's running?
    First I would replace the impellar (waterpump) they are cheap and should be replaced every couple of years or so. Manufacturers recommend every year but I don't know anyone that does that. If the motor has set for a while without being run the plastic impellars dry out and become brittle.
    Second , I've had this same problem you are having with a couple of motors with the choke problem. They have a carb cleaner that you can buy at most marinas , disconnect your fuel inlet line of the carburator and spray a few squirts in....let it sit for a few minutes and then take an air compressor with the blow tip and give it a burst of air in the fuel inlet. Listen for the piston in the carb to seat because they stick from the oil sludge and get gummy. The carb cleaner should loosen it up and the bust of air should reseat it. I've had to do this twice on two different motors and it worked both times. The second time I just did the air and it worked without buying the carb cleaner.
    Give it a shot and let me know how it works.
    Scanoe

drum655 Guest

Thanks for the tips, i will be sure to try them. I bet they will work!!!! Alli can do is hope they work for my sake anyway!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink 7.5 Gamefisher

Drum655, That gamefisher should be an air cooled engine. It does have a water intake tube on the foot in front of the prop that forces water in the foot but it is only to cool the lower unit because of the exaust. That needle and seat in the carb. is replacable. It is the same as the one in a craftsman lawn mower with a tec. engine. Go to your lawn mower repair shop and ask them for the needle and seat and replace it after you have cleaned the carb. with carb. cleaner and she will run like new again. First try what was sugested by the other person and if I can help just let me know. I have the needle and seat in my shop here if you can't find it, I will send it to you. Good luck! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

I would check the thermosat and replace it maybe. If it's stuck closed the motor can overheat. Keeping the motor at the right temperature is critical to making it run good.

Run some carb cleaner though it. Use only new gasoline with the right fuel/oil mixture and add some stabil to the mixture.

Check the fuel filter to make sure that it's not plugged up.

Check the spark plugs for fowling and make sure they are in good condition and gapped correctly.

Fuel, air and spark are what make the motor run.

Does the choke work smoothly or is it sticking?

If the above tests or fixes don't resolve the situation you may want to take it in to a repair shop and have them look at the choke and the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by drum655
    I have a 7.5 hp gamefisher which i know are not the greatest motors but it has been great for me until now. When i turn the choke all the way off the motor shuts off and I don't know why. It almost sounds like the motor just chokes itself off like the choke was all the way open. It also has a tendensy to overheat it think. what may be causing these problems. Any pointers would be great, I can't stand to bank fish any longer. Its time for little jon to do its work. Thanks a lot!!!
    Regards,

Moose1am

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

check out this site .http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl. sounds like a goo carb cleaning is in bad need and a water pump . if it is a water coled motor . some of the small motor is air cooled . a lean running 2 cyckle isent good on the pistons from lack of lubercation . i would take the carb apart and soake it and then blow it out . a rebuild kit will be needed .
    retired and now i will always fish