Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Whats your opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Question Whats your opinion

This is the lake I'll be fishing in a couple of months. Maybe.

This is a pretty fair assessment of whats there.
    The blue area being the river channel is from 10 to 15 feet deep out to about the narrows. The length of this portion is 1/4 mile from the bridge to the narrows.
    The river it's self is about 50' accross and a couple feet deep.

Wheres your early season starting point?

Now if the pic shows up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FisherMike; 02-05-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

How will you be fishing? Trolling, bobber with minnow, casting jigs, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to start in the back and work my way out till I find them. Find the right structure and it dont matter what time of year it is it will hold crappie. I have caught them in the back of creeks in the HEAT of summer under docks no deeper then 8 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I started tying my own jigs (at least thats what I call them) and I plan for the most part to use them. More then likely under a Bobber. I'm not really proficient at using them yet.
    Minnows will come into play at times too. That's if I can find some descent ones this year.

Crappieday, this lake doesn't have a ton of underwater structure such a wood and the like. There are a few of the older docks with old wooden pilings but that's about it. Besides weeds that is.
    What do you mean when you say "in the back"?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

try the old docks, the older docks always pay off the best for me and try the weed line as well

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Mike ....

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike
    Jim, I started tying my own jigs (at least thats what I call them) and I plan for the most part to use them. More then likely under a Bobber. I'm not really proficient at using them yet.
    Minnows will come into play at times too. That's if I can find some descent ones this year.
    Crappieday, this lake doesn't have a ton of underwater structure such a wood and the like. There are a few of the older docks with old wooden pilings but that's about it. Besides weeds that is.
    What do you mean when you say "in the back"?
    "In the back" (of creeks) means where the creek itself enters the bay/cove ... aka where the water drains into the lake from the surrounding creeks and runoffs. The mouth of the creek is where it intersects with the main lake ... the "back of the creek" is the opposite end.

Early season starting points: IMHO
    Northern shores (early in the season) should warm first.
    Weedlines and emergent grass beds are good (post ice-out/spawn).
    Old dock posts are the same as stumps - and it depends on water depth and clarity.
    Black Crappie dominance will mean weeds & shallower waters, as well as movement to shallows shortly after ice-out. But, don't rule out ANY wood cover (even if it's only a pencil thin stickup), any private dock with a few feet of water underneath, or even the pea gravel banks and/or rockpiles or riprap banks.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Crappiepappy.

I guess I knew what the backs of creeks meant. I wondered if you meant the backs of coves or bays.
    With the river coming into the lake on the north end. Do ya think fishing around the mouth would be a good thing? With the snow we have and the run off from that. Would that be warmer water then the bays on the north side?

I hope I'm not being a pain with these questions. It's just I have not done that much crappie fishing.
    These guys are killing me with all the pics of giant crappie.

I really figured I'd get more responses to this thread. I think it pertains to all.
    Maybe I made someone mad with my questions.

If I did, I apologies.
    Mike

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink No problems, Mike ...

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike
    Thanks Crappiepappy.
    I guess I knew what the backs of creeks meant. I wondered if you meant the backs of coves or bays.
    With the river coming into the lake on the north end. Do ya think fishing around the mouth would be a good thing? With the snow we have and the run off from that. Would that be warmer water then the bays on the north side?
    I hope I'm not being a pain with these questions. It's just I have not done that much crappie fishing.
    These guys are killing me with all the pics of giant crappie.
    I really figured I'd get more responses to this thread. I think it pertains to all.
    Maybe I made someone mad with my questions.
    If I did, I apologies.
    Lots of people call a cove or bay, a creek, even when there isn't any actual creek coming into them ... I was just clarifying. (the question was to CrappieDay, but I answered for him)
    Water temps of the river vs the northern shores of the lake/bays/creeks is what you want to stay aware of. Whether or not the river's water is warmer, depends on where its water comes from, how long it takes to get to the lake, and over what type of bottom it flows, as well as its depth & clarity. Just be watching for water temps approaching the 50deg mark, and concentrate on areas that are warmer (if you can find any).
    The whole point of this site is to help newcomers to the sport. Don't worry about asking questions, that's what we're here for. No apology needed ... just allow the post a few days to be seen, and replies made.

... luck2ya ... cp