Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bored?....ok, tell a newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bored?....ok, tell a newbie

the do's and don'ts of crappie fishing and what he must have in the tackle box and why.

Post Thanks / Like

A cane pole, 10lb mono, bobber, gold eagle hooks, minnows, and a good bank.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good articles like this one on the site:

http://www.crappie.com/index.php?opt...id=50&Itemid=2

I like to cast jigs. All you need is a light or UL spinning outfit and some jigs (marabou, hair, plastic) in 1/32 to 1/16 oz. Count 'em down and reel back slowly.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok here it is. Buy a nice crappie boat with a huge motor. Buy everything that you need to go on the boat, IE a spider riggin set pole holders bait well and so on. Then you buy some good crappie poles, IE Wally Marshal sig series or the best B&M's on the market. You are almost ready to go then. Get some good reels for the poles and put the best line you can get on them. Then buy the best tackle box you can find and just fill it to the gills with jigs, Bobber rigs and anything else for crappie fishn. Buy you a good EGO dip net. Your almost there. Don't forget the GPS and good Depth Finders front and back. Good trolling motor, thats your choice on the brand. IE, Motor Guide or Minn Kota.
    Ok you are just about ready to go. Now all you have to figure out is how to finance all the above and find a place to use it all.:D

Just kiddn . Find a good place to fish get the items needed to go out and catch a few crappies.
    Best place to start would be a good crappie store somewhere. And this site is a great place to learn.

Welcome to the site from Southern IL.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

can't go wrong starting a jig collection not as expensive as some
    lures, work most of the time most of the places, not a huge loss when
    you hang up and lose one...

it'd help to know the general area of the country you fish, boat or bank,
    that sort of stuff too.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 15763 From Toledo Bend Texas!

If I can help you with some jigs just let me know. Also have some good info here on this site as well as my site. I have a How To Page and some great recipes.

So when you get a chance check out my web site.

Jigs to go?

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best advice this old man can give is don't take it too serious. Enjoy whatever you do.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard sbennett.

I think this one say's a lot.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ghlight=rookie

What kind of fishing are you going to be doing sbennett? Night or day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Xtream
    Ok here it is. Buy a nice crappie boat with a huge motor. Buy everything that you need to go on the boat, IE a spider riggin set pole holders bait well and so on. Then you buy some good crappie poles, IE Wally Marshal sig series or the best B&M's on the market. You are almost ready to go then. Get some good reels for the poles and put the best line you can get on them. Then buy the best tackle box you can find and just fill it to the gills with jigs, Bobber rigs and anything else for crappie fishn. Buy you a good EGO dip net. Your almost there. Don't forget the GPS and good Depth Finders front and back. Good trolling motor, thats your choice on the brand. IE, Motor Guide or Minn Kota.
    Ok you are just about ready to go. Now all you have to figure out is how to finance all the above and find a place to use it all.:D
    CX.
    LOL...trouble is, I have most of that stuff, and I have NO IDEA how it is I have financed it. Better not let the wife see this post

Welcome aboard sbennett. Best advice I can give, get you a couple decent rods/reels. 5 and 6 foot ultralights are great for casting jigs, maybe a 61/2 or 7 foot medium for bobber fishing. I use a 10' BnM Sams Super Sensitive rod with an for most everything myself, but I still keep an ultralight on the boat all the time. Some slip bobbers and stops, #1 or #2 aberdeen hooks, some split shots, and some 6# line and some minnows and that will cover most any situation. Maybe get some jig heads ranging from 1/32 to 1/8 oz, painted or not is your choice. Get a few colors of 1 1/2" tube bodies, definitely a couple with chartreuse in 'em, maybe some assorted 2" twister tails, some marabou jigs and some crappie nibbles. If you can't catch crappie with those things in your tackle box, it's not the bait. Brand names and all the specifics are a matter of preference you will figure out as you go. Start basic, then expand if ya need to. I started by filling the boat with every toy and lure I could fit in it, and have only used half of it, and now could probably survive most days with two or three options. This site, you'll find, is as good a resource as you'll find on crappie fishing. If you have a question, somebody on here knows the answer.
    Last edited by SpeckWick; 02-05-2008 at 10:13 PM.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast