Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 8' casting rod opinions...

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8' casting rod opinions...

...I have 7 footers and like them very much, but I want two longer casting rods. I want something with light to medium weight and a fast action, a little backbone. Money is no object:D

OK, I got $100 a peice to spend. I know with the length it is going to take at least that amount to get the right feel. It seems as though the market opens up for me at that price, as I have no experience with rods of that price... But I deserve at least two

I prefer stainless eyes... just my preference. Of course I will be pairing the rod with a Mitchell 308 or 310... so spinnig rod

Thanks guys
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

pfleuger microspin 8ft 23$ us i have the rod in 6'6 and 7 and love it they make an 8 and 10 and they are very light and fairly rigid

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro's float 'n' fly rod is 8.5' -- nice rod, $40.

For a step up, I would look at a light steelhead rod. I have a great 8.5' rod from Cabela's. It's in their Fish Eagle II series and goes for $80. I think either their light (rated for 6-10# line) or their medium (rated for 8-12# line) would work for you. I have the medium one. I use it to toss spinners for trout and soft plastics for bass -- works great. Depending on what you'll be using it for, the light model might work better for you.

Neither the BP or the Cabela's rod has stainless guides, though.

St. Croix also has some steelhead rods for around $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I don't bass fish so it will be lighter style tackle. Its use will very from jig or minnow under cork, jigging tight quarters, casting, about any situation that you would prefer a rod that prevents wrist fatigue. They may even find there place amoung the spider rigging set up... I'll have to wait and see for that.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

The Fish Eagle II light (6-10# line) might be perfect. I ordered both the light and the medium from Cabela's. I sent back the light one because it was a little light for what I wanted to do.

Don't let "steelhead" throw you off. They're very versatile rods, and they're definitely not pool cues.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked out some of the St. Croix rods at BPS the last time I went... their website looks like they have 3 or 4 rods I may be interested in... just need to get the feel of them i guess... one is 7'6", another is 8'6", another is 8', still another but actions and weight vary...

I need to make sure I am not missing any other good rod makers... besides ORVIS

I like St. Croix, because they are made in the USA and they make good horse shoeing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the 7.5 foot Crappiewizard rods. I use a Mitchell 310 on mine. B&M makes these rods. If you need any info on these rods, send me an email to [email protected].
    Thanks
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stumpbumpers, I don't know how many rods you own, or how critical you are about your rods. Input from others is a good thing and may save you some shopping time, but I have to say I have reservations about ordering online . If I can't hold it in my hand and feel the weight, balance and action, it's not coming home. In the past I've held 2 identical rods, one in each hand, and would have bet the farm that they were different models. Both had a good tip, but one had almost no backbone at all and the other would have been comfy fishin plastic worms for Bass. The diff was day and night. My point is to make a decision with the items in your hand, you're going to be spending a lot of time with it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum
    Stumpbumpers, I don't know how many rods you own, or how critical you are about your rods. Input from others is a good thing and may save you some shopping time, but I have to say I have reservations about ordering online . If I can't hold it in my hand and feel the weight, balance and action, it's not coming home. In the past I've held 2 identical rods, one in each hand, and would have bet the farm that they were different models. Both had a good tip, but one had almost no backbone at all and the other would have been comfy fishin plastic worms for Bass. The diff was day and night. My point is to make a decision with the items in your hand, you're going to be spending a lot of time with it.
    I have no intentions on buying a rod over the net... I am trying find out what is out there. I have pittle farted around in this rod category, but want to make sure I have all the choices in the $100 market, maybe $150, to make a decision. The final decision will not be made for the exact reason you stated. Shakespeare is the worlds worst for offer the same pole with a different feel.

You get what you pay fro, I hope $100-150 will get me in the category I am looking for. These rods will be for me. The rest of my stuff any and everyone pretty much use. They break and are replaced. These are mine, all mine

I am particular as far as how I care for my stuff, but I ain't ignorant enough to think some body else cares or knows how to care for my rods. I usually buy cheaper rods from $20-50.

Post Thanks / Like

The BPS float n' fly microlite is on sale, or was last weekend. $30.

Various lenghts. I picked up a 9'6 ML. Nice feeling rod. Good balance.

Probably gonna pick up a 8 footer also.
    George Clarke