Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: depth finder help

Post Thanks / Like

Default depth finder help

I've been shopping around for a good depth finder, since my old paddle in the water method isnt so accurate, and was noticing that I dont see any transducers being advertised. Do modern depth finders have built in transducers?
    -Tex

Post Thanks / Like

All depth finders have to have a transducer to locate the bottom, structure, and fish. If you are looking at one and it says CHO, that means that you are only getting the headunit for that price. Look down in the specs. and it will tell you what type transducer you are getting. Dual beam 200/50, or single beam 200. Types of transducers vary. The larger the number the more detailed or smaller the cone. The smaller the number the bigger area you can see with less detail.

Guys make sure I explained that narrow wide/ wide beam thing correctly. That confuses me to this day.

Hope this helps,

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I can give is Do NOT buy a depthfinder without the transducer in same box. Cause if you order wrong one you could get stuck with it. most places will not take a electronic part back if package has been opened. 95 % per cent of time U will not know U got wrong one till U take out of box & try it. Bingo its yours..Yes there are some special setups where one would only need one of, if already has several in boat already. Usually places on internet sell the CHO head only so they can lower their price & get you to buy from them. Then U got to go pay probably $$ for a over priced transducer. Factory stores are the only ones OK. Sorry for long wording.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER