Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I found the problem...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I found the problem...

One of the cheap ever start batteries I purchased back in April 07 was built backwards at the factory. I haven't had the boat out since July and it must have been running on 12 volts then. The other battery is still fully charged. That is what has been frying everything. Fuses blowing, wires melting... It has been on a parrallel circuit for my trolling motor, which at this point seems to be fried. This 24 volt system is also rigged to an onboard triple bank charger, which seems to be fine. It melted the wires for the other 12 volt system so bad it fried my Garmin.

They found the problem immediately at Wally World and said that, Excide was the ones to pay up. I called Excide but the lady I need to speak with comes in tomorrow.

I hope they pay... that stuff is expensive.

ANY TIME YOU FELLAS BUY BATTERIES, HAVE THEM CHECK POLARITY TO MAKE SURE NEGATIVE IS NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE IS POSITIVE.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    One of the cheap ever start batteries I purchased back in April 07 was built backwards at the factory. I haven't had the boat out since July and it must have been running on 12 volts then. The other battery is still fully charged. That is what has been frying everything. Fuses blowing, wires melting... It has been on a parrallel circuit for my trolling motor, which at this point seems to be fried. This 24 volt system is also rigged to an onboard triple bank charger, which seems to be fine. It melted the wires for the other 12 volt system so bad it fried my Garmin.

They found the problem immediately at Wally World and said that, Excide was the ones to pay up. I called Excide but the lady I need to speak with comes in tomorrow.

I hope they pay... that stuff is expensive.

ANY TIME YOU FELLAS BUY BATTERIES, HAVE THEM CHECK POLARITY TO MAKE SURE NEGATIVE IS NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE IS POSITIVE.

Good troubleshooting.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I tell ya!!! Quality is just shot to HEII these days!!! Fried alot of stuff, ruined a good part of a season! I would be fired up!!!... Well, I hope you get nice new goodies at their expense, make sure they cover travel,gas, testing/repair bills and general depression from no fishing!!!!!...LOL!!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I've never heard of a battery marked backwards before but then there are a lot of things I've never heard of. And a lot I've forgot. They should definitely make good on that screw up. Keep us posted. That kind of stuff is good to know.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I hpe to have the SI finder and the new minn kota w/ ap and cp, as my TM only has the AP.

If they pay the original cost of my Garmin, I can get a SI unit:D

The battery wasn't "marked" backwards, it was internally backwards... HOW DO YOU DO THAT?
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

Plates where placed in the opposite relation to the terminals. Must a been the new guy...LOL!!!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SUNDROP
    Plates where placed in the opposite relation to the terminals. Must a been the new guy...LOL!!!
    Probably one of the veterans f'n with him:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Virtually impossible to rearrange the plates accidentally. The battery works better when charged the right way, but it will also work fine when charged backwards. It can generate a bunch of heat when it is being switched. I've run across this a few times working on old tractors when the owner didn't understand positive ground.

Good luck, but my bet is that Exide will tell you the Walmart guy is wrong.
    Last edited by CatFan; 02-04-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

hecho in mexico

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast