Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for help with hydraulic tilt pump

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for help with hydraulic tilt pump

So yesterday when I went fishing, I couldn't raise my motor very much. Once I got it back on the trailer I noticed the hydraulic fluid was seeping out of the top of the pump. I assume the motor didn't raise any higher than it did because it was out of hydraulic fluid.

So my question is, is my pump needing to be replaced? Or is there a seal that may have gone bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about a pump. My motor is Johnson 150. There is a hydrolic cylinder that lifts the motor, a fluid resevoir and an electric motor that runs it. There is a seal in the electric motor it's like a big O-ring, but I don't think fluid is inside the motor. It may have a pump but didn't notice.

My tilt motor died, had to buy a new one. If you need a new one I'd recommend ebay. My local mechanic wanted like close to $200 for a tilt motor, got same one on ebay for around $50.

what kinda boat motor you got?
    Live2Fish

Post Thanks / Like

check and see if the fluid is coming out of the top of the res.
    It may be the caps have come loose and need refilled and tightened up. this would be the first thing I would check.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

slowpole, it is a cylinder, not so much as a pump now that I look at it. It lifts a 90hp Mercury.

crappiekiller, the fluid is coming out of the top. I'll check to see if it has come loose. The thing is, last time I ran the boat before I noticed it leaking was mid November. It ran fine then, then sat inside during the winter until I got it out last weekend. Is it possible it came loose by itself?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cope, what year is the motor? I'll see if any of my manuals cover it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks IBNFSHN, it's a 1996 model.

I went and messed around with it again today. First time I hit the switch it barely raised, until I pulled up on the motor, then it raised all the way up.

The fluid is leaking out of where the ram comes out of the cylinder. But after I raised it all the way up, it lowered just fine and came back up without me pulling on it. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but I don't believe it should be leaking fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Seal's gone...

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cope
    Thanks IBNFSHN, it's a 1996 model.

I went and messed around with it again today. First time I hit the switch it barely raised, until I pulled up on the motor, then it raised all the way up.

The fluid is leaking out of where the ram comes out of the cylinder. But after I raised it all the way up, it lowered just fine and came back up without me pulling on it. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but I don't believe it should be leaking fluid.
    Cope, PM me your E-mail addy and I'll send you some data. If you have a dial-up connection it may take a while to download. Bill
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va