Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse on Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reverse on Trolling Motor

I have a MinnKota 55 AT foot operated trolling motor that is killing my ankle to turn the motor to get the boat to move straight back and was wandering if anyone has put a reverse switch on their foot control. A lot of the hand control motors have reverse and I am assuming dc motors can run either way. I am thinking of using the momentary switch on the side and rewire it backwards. Any ideas ??
    Last edited by ifish; 02-03-2008 at 07:02 PM.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. You can reverse this particular motor as it has no electronic controls to protect against polarity reversals. The speed control works via different windings in the motor itself. It want work the way you want to do it, but you can reverse the power input to the TM and accomplish this reversal and maintain speed control at the same time.

Let me think about it.

IBNFSHN might already have a fix for this.

I love Minn Kota.

Here is a link to all their TM wiring. Click on the unit (55AT) and open the pdf. Walla.

http://minnkota.sramarketing.net/sup...ng.asp?pg=2007
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cane Pole,
    Thanks for using your thinker on the TM reverse. I was talking to Pat Haas at the boat show and he said I just missed you. Shucks . He said he was getting his new Tow toy and was going to do some scannning. I sure would like to see how he makes those maps !! Anyway, have a good day .
    Life is Good !

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Yep. You can reverse this particular motor as it has no electronic controls to protect against polarity reversals. The speed control works via different windings in the motor itself. It want work the way you want to do it, but you can reverse the power input to the TM and accomplish this reversal and maintain speed control at the same time.

Let me think about it.

IBNFSHN might already have a fix for this.

I love Minn Kota.

Here is a link to all their TM wiring. Click on the unit (55AT) and open the pdf. Walla.

http://minnkota.sramarketing.net/sup...ng.asp?pg=2007
    Nope, I've never done one. Since it doesn't have the maximizer circuity it should just be a matter of reversing the polarity. While your thinkin Tom, keep in mind that motor draws 42 amps at full power.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Nope, I've never done one. Since it doesn't have the maximizer circuity it should just be a matter of reversing the polarity. While your thinkin Tom, keep in mind that motor draws 42 amps at full power.
    Yep. I am not sure of the rating. I think this is the inrush (start) or the stall current rating. I am not sure. I don't think it would be the max continuous current draw rating of the motor. I could be wrong.

Most of the small motors I have used are max rated at the stall current.

I was going to suggest using 2 spdt horn relays. I done this before. Bosch makes a 50 amp relay.

TRIVIA

Did you know that the Moon Rover had 4 dc drive motors, 1 per wheel. They were 1/100 hp motors. Don't take much to move stuff on the moon. The Moon Rover had .04 HP. I remember this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish
    Hey Cane Pole,
    Thanks for using your thinker on the TM reverse. I was talking to Pat Haas at the boat show and he said I just missed you. Shucks . He said he was getting his new Tow toy and was going to do some scannning. I sure would like to see how he makes those maps !! Anyway, have a good day .
    Pat is a super nice fellow. I picked up a lot of stuff from him about side scan stuff. He understands all this stuff I am doing.

Anybody fishing Ky Lake and don't have his maps are shooting themselves in the foot.

I highly recommend his maps. I don't say that too much about anything as most all know.:D

Can you wire from wiring diagrams or schematics?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Canepole,
    I am a tinkerer from way back. I have the wiring schematic and have access to all things electrical . Thanks for looking at this problem.
    Life is Good !

Post Thanks / Like

Default circuit

This simple circuit will work. The Bosch relay is capable of switching 50 amps. It is not a sealed relay. After you get the relays wired, seal the bottom of the relays with marine silicone.

Large Red and Black wire use same wires as TM wiring. Other wiring is relay control. 18 gage wire will work ok here as this is a low current application. Mount the toggle switch where you wish.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anyones wiring, installation, damage, etc. This is a free circuit. Your choice to use or not use.

Do not use a plastic box for these components. Use metal if you use a component box. This circuit NOT for electronic control TM.

link to suggested relay. Be sure to check the relay pin numbers (schematic vs diagram on relay).

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...id=google_base

Tom
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-11-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a note

If anyone decides to build/use this circuit, be sure to let off the throttle when you switch the polarity. Switching the polarity with no power to the motor ensures relay contact longevity.

Switching with power applied will eventually cause pitting of the relay contacts and sooner or later the contacts will weld together (over a period of time).

You can switch polarity with power on the TM, but it reduces the life expectancy of the relay.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast