Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mechanical question

Post Thanks / Like

Default mechanical question

Haven’t been to the lake in a few months because of the drought, the wildlife folks closed most all of the ramps here but are starting to reopen some. I went and cranked up the boat to let it run a bit to get her ready and saw something very disturbing. A white/tannish foamy substance was coming out of the prop, this was the first time this has happened. My first thought was lower unit oil mixed with water, but it was full. Upon further investigation I noticed the foam was not oily feeling and smelled of gas. I know water in oil makes a chocolate milk looking substance. Could this be the result of it sitting so long without being cranked or maybe 2cycle oil (I have oil injection). I’m not much of a mechanic on outboards, what do ya’ll think? You can see what I’m talking about in the pic around the nut and inside the prop
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Drain and replace the oil in the L/U to be sure. Its not worth taking a chance. If it looks good then run it a few times and see if it stops.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what that is. In my opinion.
    Water and lower unit lube.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

it's either a lower unit seal leaking oil or one of the cylinders is not firing, causing 2 cycle oil and gas to come out the exhaust. it looks to be about a 40 or 50 HP merc, you can remove the prop, remove the bolt above and below the shaft and the prop shaft, housing and all seals will come out as one piece if you need to replace the seals.
    Last edited by ffemt1271; 02-03-2008 at 12:47 PM.
    '99 tracker 175 40 HP
    2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    Mercury outboard, minn kota & humminbirds

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Motor

I you leave your motor trimmed up for long periods of time water will collect in prop hug and any fuel residue inside will mix and cause foam. During winter months esp. If your wont use during winter months lower your motor so water wont collect in hub.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN, I pushed lube thru the unit and it came out clean

ffemt1271, your are correct, it is a 40hp merc, I hope its not a mis-fire cylinder! how can I check that?

jimfish, it has been trimmed all winter, and we have had quite a bit of rain lately.

thanks for all replys and opinions

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

At least that is good news. Take it out and run it and keep a close eye on it. If its misfiring it will run rough. Add a can of Sea Foam to the gas. This stuff can do miracles. Do you have a water seperator filter on it? Just about a must with this ethanol gas.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

you gan get a spark checker tool at autozone to see if it's firing.

i once had a carb get stopped up, couldn't tell it by the way the engine was running, it just wouldn't get on plane. luckily i didn't kill the cylinder.

if a carb is stopped up, remember that cylinder is not getting any oil, thats why i said it might not be firing, but is still getting oil and fuel, and dumping it in the exhaust
    '99 tracker 175 40 HP
    2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    Mercury outboard, minn kota & humminbirds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish
    I you leave your motor trimmed up for long periods of time water will collect in prop hug and any fuel residue inside will mix and cause foam. During winter months esp. If your wont use during winter months lower your motor so water wont collect in hub.
    agreed

At least that is good news. Take it out and run it and keep a close eye on it. If its misfiring it will run rough. Add a can of Sea Foam to the gas. This stuff can do miracles. Do you have a water seperator filter on it? Just about a must with this ethanol gas.

Also Agreed
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

OK,

failed to mention that I have used Sta-Bil religiously for the past 3-4 years, probably more than needed just to be sure. so my carbs (2) shouldn't be stopped up, correct? plus, my fuel tank is portable and I take it out and it is stored in a completly dry enviroment (my shed) so moisture can't collect in the tank

what is a water seperator filter? I've looked for sea foam before but can't find it around here.
    Last edited by fishinRod; 02-03-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast