Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficiency

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel efficiency

I've been running 2 strokes for years and my 1997 Yamaha 115 is a really thirsty motor. I'd guess that I get about 3 - 3 1/2 miles per gallon tops. I've heard from several of my buddies that their four strokes are getting 6 to 7 mpg. Do you all know if there is much difference between the four strokes in terms of efficiency? I've also heard that the Evinrude Etek does as well or better than most four stokes. Anybody know what's best?
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone that I have talked to loves their 4stroke. They are heavier and more expensive but they are more quiet and more effecient. I met a guy on the lake a couple of weeks ago and he had his running and I couldn't even hear the thing. What's interesting is that I was right beside it.

My next one will be 4 stroke if I have the extra mulla!

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

Default super 2 strokes

I have a 115 tohatsu and I am in my 4th tank of gas (16 gall) for over 35 hours use including 4 days at ky lake skiing. these injected 2 strokes (tohat, etec, optimax, etc) are very fuel efficient, plus have the weight and power advangtage over the 4 stroke, also less maintenance issues.

my 2 cents
    rco

Post Thanks / Like

My 4 stroke 60hp Merc is the best motor I've had in more than 40 years of fishing.

Easy to start, no oil to mess with and quiet. The fuel mileage is great compared to 2 stroke. I don't know about the etec, it's probably as good as they claim, but I won't have another 2 stroke.

Post Thanks / Like

I really love my Suzuki 140. The 115 and 90 are in the same class as the 140. I've got over 600 hours on mine and Jerry has over 800 on his. We both have not had one bit of trouble. When I ran a 200hp Mercury I wouldn't leave the dock without 25 gallons of gas. Now as long as I have 5 gallons I'm good for the day. Here's a link for some statistical comparison -- http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr_08/df...90/advantages/
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The Direct Injected 2strokes get better gas mileage and less emissions than the 4 strokes do now. This would be the Optimax and ETecs, or the HPDI from Yamaha.

Russ

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EarlG
    My 4 stroke 60hp Merc is the best motor I've had in more than 40 years of fishing.

Easy to start, no oil to mess with and quiet. The fuel mileage is great compared to 2 stroke. I don't know about the etec, it's probably as good as they claim, but I won't have another 2 stroke.
    Ditto Earl. I got a 60 Bigfoot.

Can't get a small 2 stroker any more. There is a reason.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel efficiency vs Fuel Economy...

I am getting ready to repower my 18.5 Lowe and have spend many an hour investigating the various outboard marine products and the data that is supplied by each of their respective motors. We are currently running a 90 hp Evinrude and plan on going with the new etech 90. Here is one website that I found that compares 4 similiar 75 hp engines and their respective data. Points of emphasis: although these tests are not purely scientific, they do compare what similiar hp motors can do in regards to fuel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ighlight=etech
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

I got lost in the iboats discussion.
    Here's what I know to be true.
    I replaced a REALLY old evinrude 40 with a new Mercury 60 four stroke about a year ago. There was also a new boat attached but we are talking about motors here.
    I love this motor! It has been great so far.
    You can't hear it running if you are very far away. I've literally heard people at the ramp asking eachother if my motor was running!
    I don't have to mix gas anymore.
    No more smoke.
    I burn a lot less gas too.
    On the bad side I have less money in my wallet too.

When I buy another motor I'll go with a four stroke again.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to knock anybody elses products but I will tell you My Johnson (Suzuki) 90 4 stroke has been great - if you can get better fuel effecincy out of the same class you gotta good product cause mine is great - and as for the maintenance issues - I change my oil twice a year just like you changing oil in my truck - I do it myself - I change the lower unit oil at the same time and with the filter and everything cost me about $50 - do it myself so believe me anyone can do it if I can
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-04-2008 at 08:15 AM.
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast