Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading line on a spinning reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loading line on a spinning reel

When you load line onto a spinning real how do you all position the spool of line? Flat with the label down? Flat with the label up facing you? Should the line come off the spool clockwise or counterclockwise or should I even be caring about this subject? I was just about to load a reel and realized I never really knew for sure and never really paid attention. Opinions?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarpPoop
    When you load line onto a spinning real how do you all position the spool of line? Flat with the label down? Flat with the label up facing you? Should the line come off the spool clockwise or counterclockwise or should I even be caring about this subject? I was just about to load a reel and realized I never really knew for sure and never really paid attention. Opinions?
    Some reel's instructions tell you to lay the spool down, label up. Always turn the crank several times then lower the line. If it kinks up, turn the spool over. Others tell you to spool it off a screwdriver or the likes with the line coming off the bottom. I think either way works just fine. Just be sure to keep tension on the line while cranking.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there CP, Usually the label up is the right position for the spool of line to lay on the floor. Make about 8 or 10 cranks of the reel to start filling your reel and stop. If the line between the tip of your rod and the spool of line on the floor twists over itself into loops then simply turn the spool over on the floor and try reeling again. The line should not have any kinks when you stop this time. I have read several other methods on here for straighting out lines once they are loaded on the reel also. Hope this helps.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Carpy ....

Quote Originally Posted by CarpPoop
    IMHO
    To properly put line on a spinning reel :

Run line from line spool thru 1st rod guide
    Open bail
    Tie line to reel spool
    Close bail
    Lay line spool on floor - label up
    Grab rod between reel & 1st guide - pinch line between thumb/1st finger
    Crank handle for 6-10 revolutions
    Drop rod towards line spool
    If line is more twisted/coiled than when you began - flip line spool over
    If line is NOT twisted/coiled any more than when you began - finish filling reel
    Stop filling reel when line is 1/8" from being flush with spool lip
    Cut line between 1st guide and line spool
    Finish running line thru guides & out the tip eye
    Pull off about 5 rod lengths of line thru the tip eye
    Grab rod between reel & 1st guide - pinch line between thumb/1st finger
    Crank handle until tag end of line hangs free (between rod tip/floor)
    Tie on whatever is to be used (hook/sinker - jig - etc)
    Go Fishing :D

Just remember - just "using" a spinning reel will cause the line to twist, eventually. Using the "drag the empty line behind the boat, at idle speed for a couple of minutes" trick ... will remove most line twist. Tie your bait/equipment setup back on the line, and continue fishing. Repeat as necessary.

Well, that's how I do it, anyway :p

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My God! Ive got work to do!! Great advice, I will now go to the garage and give it a whirl!

Post Thanks / Like

Carp, I always seem to mess up the procedure for "correctly" installing new line on my reels, so I started using the Reel Magic spray to remove the memory from the line. I really noticed the difference on smaller diameter lines that we all use on our reels. Hope this helps. Rollcaster....................
    Amateur Chaser of Those Thump Thumps to
    Raise Those Hand Kandys!

IG: Krappie Krane

Post Thanks / Like

we tryed a new line stren magna thin 8 pd. it was like a spring it would'nt stay on reel just coiled off. wasted a whole spool ended up in garbage. whats the deal

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my own problems with spinning reels.

Superbowl sunday of '05.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...=stove+burners

Post Thanks / Like

Another method that I have been using recently with good success is to put the spool of line in a pale of water. This will keep some tension on the line while spooling it on the reel and seems to minimize the line twist.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy does it the same as I do with the exception that I always set my spool down in a bowl or hot tap water with a weight on the spool to hold it down. The hot water seems to take some of the memory out of the line.

The advice about laying the line spool down label up is right 99.9% of the time. Just make sure that the line is coming off the spool counter clockwise. I have found a spool or 2 in my life that the lable was on the wrong side
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast