Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie bed question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie bed question.

I've made two trips with my new 997 side imager and have found quite a few fish beds in 16' of water at different locations. Water clarity at this lake is usually around 2'-3'. Do you think that any of these beds are from crappie? If not, what species do you suppose made them?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple snapshots.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on your settings, they were pretty good sized fishes.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

If they are beds, I'd have to say bream, maybe. But I don't think they're beds at all. The first thing I noticed is there is no cover, no rocks, nothing, etc. That's not to say crappie won't spawn away from cover but it's certainly not the norm. Plus, notice the color contrast where the pock marks are. The density in color is darker which tells me it's deeper, like a channel or ditch that is about 25' wide. What made them could be a bunch of things - water level change, current, raccoons when the water was down, I don't know, maybe just a rough bottom. Also, check out the length of them. You are scanning out 148 and 135-foot both left and right. At that range the length (only the segments that are running away from the boat, not including the segments that are running parallel to the boat) of the bedded area in both snapshots exceeds 100-foot. That's one heck of a field of fish beds. I'd make a mental note and not forget it for sure. Fish it in the spring and see what it produces. If it is fish beds they are doing it in the bottom of the channel.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a golf ball... interesting to say the least.

My fish finder isn't working... hhmmmm.... might hav to get side imaging.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have a fisheries biologist that is a member here
    I would like to know what that is myself
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Darryl. They seem to only be associated with the creek channel or ditch that is in the area.
    The lake that I fish mainly only has a 1 to 2 foot visibility and our fish seem to prefer spawning depths down to about 5 feet. As a matter of fact I rarely have to fish 15 feet deep even in the cold of winter.
    I doubt very seriously if they were crappie beds based on the visibility that you described. But I too would sure like to know what they are.
    Awesome snapshots by the way!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they are crappie beds - I don't think Crappie make much of a depression if any at all. They don't have the typical honeycomb pattern of bream beds either. It does appear that they are in a channel with a softer bottom than the surrounding area and that's a bit unusual for bream too. You might post it on the Side Imaging Yahoo Group and see what folks there think. They're are a lot of images there that you can check out too - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com