Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boat styles and opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat styles and opinions

i am wondering if i could get some advice on a boat i have a 14 v bottom a seaark i believe the thing i don't like is that i would like to have more room it's only 54 inchs wide at widest point (on top ) so am kinda nosing around for a wider boat and don't want a bass boat my kids are 3 and 4 so they are little wild yet and i would like to stay with a shorter boat around 16 ft for some lakes and resivors here are electric only no gas motors .

and the big thing is cost . i know you only get what you pay for but i can only pay so much for some things :D
    seems like the wife costed me alot :D :D

so any help would be apprec.

thanks ,
    Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

find a used G3 1756, 17 feet long (16.5 feet really) and 56" on THE BOTTOM. Used you should be able to get a pretty good deal on one. Just buy the hull and then do what you want. If all you can use is a trolling motor, I bet, if you didn't have a steering console, the kids could play football inside of it.

PS. This will be all the boat you will ever need. If you want you can put up to a 70 or a 90 on these hulls. It's a boat built to meet all of your needs.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 02-01-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A long time ago, my dad told me that I would be cheaper in the long run to find what I really wanted and to buy it, rather than to go through 3 or 4 buys and trades to work my way up to it. I think he was right. If I only knew exactly what I wanted. . . . . Good fishing.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowe 16.5' fishing machine. It is a V bottom and very wide for a 16.5 footer and the floor/platforms are lowered. Will handle up to 75HP. It comes with four wedge base's in the floor so you can have four people setting in their own seat. Take the seats out and you have a lot of safe room for the little ones. I take my wife and two kids and we tube and ski with mine also. I bought it new a couple years ago for about $13,000.
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly how i was starting to feel!! I just hate payments, anyone know if they got 0% financing on boats like they do cars?

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd
    A long time ago, my dad told me that I would be cheaper in the long run to find what I really wanted and to buy it, rather than to go through 3 or 4 buys and trades to work my way up to it. I think he was right. If I only knew exactly what I wanted. . . . . Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

don't know about 0 percent, but heard some of the big glass walleye
    boats, guys are financing them for 15 years now

UN imaginable, to me anyhow.

but to the original question, a 16' john with a 52 or 54" bottom would
    be hard to beat I'd think - ought to be 72" or so across the top.
    And tiller steer with NO center bench seat.
    Last edited by J White; 02-01-2008 at 05:00 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

well i got my title in hand so i think i will stick with mine for now!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, you'll never regret getting a center console.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

That is a tall order... I'd say buy a pontoon 18', used or new, but with out the gas motor. They sell pontoon packages with electric motors through Bass Pro. You can get a use pontoon fairly cheap, I know my uncle bought one that had a 75hp for $800. We redecked it and had the carbs rewoked and she was good to go.

Pontoons can be fun projects and fairly simple for the whole family, especially when you are only dealing with the electric motor.

I have a SeaArk 20' center console, but in terms of family... I would ONLY trade my boat for a pontoon. Plenty of room for the less than fishing moments which are enjoyed by FAMILIES.
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 02-01-2008 at 05:12 PM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    don't know about 0 percent, but heard some of the big glass walleye
    boats, guys are financing them for 15 years now

UN imaginable, to me anyhow.

but to the original question, a 16' john with a 52 or 54" bottom would
    be hard to beat I'd think - ought to be 72" or so across the top.
    And tiller steer with NO center bench seat.
    At first I thought 15 yrs was crazy then I thought about it. Other than the fact that the interest would add up to a ridiculous amount, I have a 1977 boat and it is still in great shape and used often because i have maintained it as did the owner before me. So it is 30 yrs old and still does the job. I guess 15yrs on a reliable, strong boat that can keep fishing for 30+ yrs isn't terrible if you can buy what you know you want and will keep... Still not the BEST idea, but not the worst by far...
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast