Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What's the funky bend in the sickle hook for?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the funky bend in the sickle hook for?

Never heard anyone say. Holding power? Hook set?

Also, will they straighten out when hung up or are they too stiff to pull loose?
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

i think it's a hybrid of a J hook and a circle hook.

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess the idea was to hook them with a hook set or for the fish to turn and hook themselfs without a hook set.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is to entice the fishman to swarm the stores for the next big thing.

I don't think it does anything better than either of the standard or circle hook designs. However the standard and circle have a definate place in my arsenal, but very different in their use.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

You know most tackle is designed to attract fishermen, not fish!..LOL,, Feed that Tackle Monkey!!!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been told it is to make the hook stronger while making the hok set easier and less likely to miss the strike.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the missed strike ratio on a sickle hook versus regular hooks. I've heard both sides, and I'm still field testing. I have noticed though, that with the sickle hooks that I hook alot more crappie right at the top of the mouth, instead of the side of the mouth. It's alot tougher to lose a big papermouth if you've got him hooked in the top of the mouth. As I said though, the jury's still out. I'll let you know later. Good fishing.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.