Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanting advice for flies

Post Thanks / Like

Question wanting advice for flies

i have fished for yearswith a fly rode for blue gill was wanting to try for white perch any advice on flies wet dry or poppers and techniques would be greatly appreciated. :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Not familar with the White Perch. Try to find out what they naturally eat at this time of the year and then match the hatch. That is about the only advice I can give to you. Early spring there won't be very many small fry as the spawn has not happened yet unless you are fishing down south.

I would imagine that it's feeding trough time for big fish when other speices fly leave the nest. Then small baits that mimic the small newly hatch fry may work if the fish are targeting them. If not then there are always bottom dwelling insects that they may be feeding on. There are small red worms that inhabit the bottom of most lakes that are fed upon by panfish.

I am not sure how particular White Perch are when it comes to feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by speediib
    i have fished for yearswith a fly rode for blue gill was wanting to try for white perch any advice on flies wet dry or poppers and techniques would be greatly appreciated. :D :D
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default speediib......

You can have a good time with a fly rod this time of year, the crappie where we live don't see many flies, and it seems they like it. I haven't gotten out much this year, so it's been a while since I've done it. Here is a pic of some of my favorite flies I've tied just for crappie. The ants were a surprise to me, when I started catching crappie while fishing for redear bream. My best producer is the two streamers (on top) that resemble minnows.....I work it at about 18 to 36 inches deep with short strips during the spawn. The bead grub is a good one too, but I have to put a tiny piece of floatation 18" up to make it fall more slowly. Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Those are some beautiful flies

Did you tie them yourself?
    Last week during my naturalist course, I spotted a stone fly near a creek, so even though temps are still only in the forties here, they're already emerging. A friend o fours is fond of a fly pattern called the"Copper John". - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

labill would you be willing to sell some if so how much would they go for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Did you tie them yourself?
    Last week during my naturalist course, I spotted a stone fly near a creek, so even though temps are still only in the forties here, they're already emerging. A friend o fours is fond of a fly pattern called the"Copper John". - Roberta

Thanks, Roberta. I started tying about 15 years ago while fishing the Little Red River in Arkansas. A beautiful fishery with an abundance of 'bows and browns and some smallmouth. Turns out that tying is a great stress reliever for me, and I have scores of flies on hand. I also tie lots of crappie jigs too.

Seems I've seen the "Copper John" somewhere. Isn't that a small pattern with copper wire ribbing?

Post Thanks / Like

labill would you be willing to sell some if so how much would they go for

Hey, speed.......I really don't want to get into retailing my flies, but if you want to try them, I'll send you a couple, no charge. Email or PM me with your address, and I'll get them to you asap.

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

speed,
    I am also a fly fisherman in Louisiana. I use this site a lot www.flyanglersonline.com.
    Just do a search for crappie on the front page and you should get a lot of results. Especially look for a fly called crappie candy and two articles entitles Rick's favorite crappie flies. While you're there be sure to read native waters, a weekly article by a south Louisiana fly fisher named Roger Stouff.

I would also suggest a copy of Tom Nixon's Fly Fishing for Bass and Panfish book. It's out of print now and Tom passed away in 2003, but the State library has a copy of it and your local library can get it for you via interlibrary loan. Hope this helps!

Kevin Smith
    Ferriday, LA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Copper John

The only photo of a Copper John I could find is in the new LL Bean fishing catalog. It reminds me of a crane fly, but yes, it has copper foil wrapped down the shank of the hook.
    I've only been tying for about a year, and not on a consistant schedule. It's fun to play around with patterns. I bought some rubber bodies from Netcraft so I can tie some ants and crickets fo rbluegill fishing this summer.- Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

the copper john can be tied fast and in numbers if you have the materials. It is good in many sizes. It is one of my favorite small creek fly.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast