Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braided line/Power Pro advice needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided line/Power Pro advice needed

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about trying out some Power Pro 10/2. I'm told there are some adjustments to make when switching to braided line. I want to know what to expect, and is it worth it? Any knots I need to know? Things I should expect to be different (better and worse) than mono. Does it really cast farther, and can I really feel the bites quicker?

I'm NOT asking what brand/pount test/color to use. That's a whole different subject that's been talked about millions of times on this board alone.

Thanks for sharing your experience,
    -Kid
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

I also have been considering braid. Iv been told by others that switched to it that they loved it. I know the diameter is much less than the same pound rated mono line and that is probably why it casts better. I hate the memory that mono gets and I wonder if the braid would eliminate that problem. Ive been told it will. Be nice to be able to straighten the hook and not break the line and have to rerig everything and loose the tackle too.

Post Thanks / Like

4lb fireline, flame green or smoke green. Love it! Will straighten a hook on brush and lose alot less tackle. I use it and wont look back to mono (only time I use mono is for my heavers....surf fishing conventionals for throwing 8oz and bait, or on my abu 6500s catfishing and striper fishing) . Have not saw where fish were line shy either, if they get to that point, I'll put a mono leader on. Cant say enough about the sensetivity, lack of memory and the way the line sinks. If Im shooting a pier and want something that wont sink as fast, Ill put a 1/48th or 1/64th size jig on, seems they like the smaller offering more a lot of times anyway. Try 4lb fireline

Post Thanks / Like

Love that stuff! Either tape line when starting on the spool or put a base of mono at the base to avoid line slipping on the spool. load spool tightly. Use palomar knot at hook. When snagged hard, either wrap around a stik to pull loose or thumb the spool to pull off. If you thumb the spool, make sure you give a long cast after to make sure line is not imbeded. Cary cheap childs Fiskars scisors to cut line. Enjoy the experiance, the longer you use it the better it gets. mike

Post Thanks / Like

One peice of advice I'd give you is not to get carried away setting the hook. You can pull the hook right through the mouth tissue if you do. Braid has some great qualities. Only thing I dislike is when you tie a bouble rig braid doesn't stand out like mono dies.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ripchord Si, which is silicone coated and really like it - unless the wind starts blowing hard, then it's okay for vertical jigging, but you really lose alot of feel if casting jigs. Many knots will slip on silicone coated braid, but the palomar knot and surgeon's loop won't. Ripchord Si is sold by Cabela's, but I believe that Power Pro makes it for them. I think you'll like it. But keep a spool of mono around if you are casting 1/16 oz sliders or other jigs hunting for beds in the spring. Also, keep an eye on your guides. I've heard that braid line will cut grooves in some guides and line rollers. Good fishing.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd
    I use Ripchord Si, which is silicone coated and really like it - unless the wind starts blowing hard, then it's okay for vertical jigging, but you really lose alot of feel if casting jigs. Many knots will slip on silicone coated braid, but the palomar knot and surgeon's loop won't. Ripchord Si is sold by Cabela's, but I believe that Power Pro makes it for them. I think you'll like it. But keep a spool of mono around if you are casting 1/16 oz sliders or other jigs hunting for beds in the spring. Also, keep an eye on your guides. I've heard that braid line will cut grooves in some guides and line rollers. Good fishing.
    Any idea why you lose the feel? All I've heard is that you always feel more with braid because it does not stretch. I was actually more interested in it for casting than jigging.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

I have power pro on 98% of my rigs.Set you drag alittle lighter and you'll be fine.You want to talk about feeling a jig getting smoked.You can feel what a jig is doing so much better than mono.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd
    GOOD ADVICE. but also braid has more feel to it, and very very little or almost no stretch to it, so hook sets are much easier just give the rod a sharp pop, or you will rip it out of the fishs mouth. when you get hung up with braid, wrap the line around a stick or dowell NOT THE ROD OR YOUR HAND braid will cut clean smooth thru a rod handle or flesh. I take a lighter and heat the bend in the hook to remove the temper and this allows the hook or jig to come free more easy, but dont intrefere with the hook set. As far as knots go, i use the palomar knot but the package the line comes in will have a booklet showing you what knots will work. this should help with the knots when putting it on the spool, there is some white tape holding the line on the spool from the factory, the white tape is for your reel spool so the braid wont slip, i personally spool on some mono as a backer before i respool with braid. Braid is expencive and you dont really need to fill the spool with it so the amount of mono backer is up to you.

Dang this is the most words i spoke in a month
    Last edited by stinkies daddy; 01-31-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, whether it's braid or florocarbon, I just run enough so I don't get down
    to the splice when I'm fishing - el cheapo junk line underneath that I never
    change. I like 10 power pro for a lot of stuff, but haven't used it much for
    casting, just can't get over the sound it makes going through the guides.
    But supposedly it doesn't hurt good equipment, just my ears
    And with both it and fireline I used before, I've always gotten along fine
    with just a uni or trilene knot, whatever you call it. As long as I cinch it
    down good, never had a problem with it slipping, but maybe I'm just lucky?
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast