Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ColorSelector

Post Thanks / Like

Default ColorSelector

How many of you have used one of these lure color selectors and do they help. So one at a show this past week-end and wondered if I should have bought it. Only $15.00 and still looked like new.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

You should have bought it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have one. I sunk it.
    It was wrong most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used one (infrequently) for twenty years - don't ask me why, because I'm color blind. I'd drop the probe and have to ask a buddy "hey what color is this?". Although I don't know if it really works, if it gives you confidence in the color you're fishing, that's worth quite a lot. I did learn from the color c lector to fish black in lower light conditions or muddy water. I've also switched color patterns, found one that worked and then dropped the probe, just to see what color it recommended. It's been right about 75% of the times I've used it to "double check" a color that started producing. It's not enough to really make a believer out of me, but I still keep one in the boat.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Color selector

Owened one since they came out, on my second one. Learn how to use it and it will take out a lot of guess work.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have considered the Color C lector, but I decided against it. The problem with a selector is you have to have ever color it can select. In my opinion, it is just to get people to buy from a flooded market of jig makers.

It isn't that I know or need to even speculate whether or not it works; it is the reality of the tackle needed to find out.

Besides that fact is a more simple one, which is I only fish my home waters and if I venture into uncharted territory, well I will be well schooled prior to my arrival.
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 01-31-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

There's been a few other threads on the same subject, they helped me to decide not to get one, but for only $15 I would buy it, just not at list price. For those that fish the same waters all the time, the main gripe was that it told them to use the same color jigs almost all the time.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

i used to use one back in the 80's when they came out.. won it as a big bass prize (woo woo) i was surprised to find out that i had the new prototype that had,, ph, temp and something else,, that didn't even come out for two years after i won that one.. that was impressive (at the time) deep sixed it in the late 80's after it hooked a rod in the rod storage and took the tip off...
    all that said now if i were you i would get one with ph/temp cuz, i already know what colors the crappie in my spot want. the temp gauge is the biggest thing IMHO,,, that way i can know what their comfort zone is before i actually get to my brushpiles,, if its too warm/cold keep on working down the bluff til ya find the right temp zone,, i now use a AIRGUIDE tell s me what the air/water temp is and has a 23' cable on the sensor,, mines marked at 3',5',7',10',15',20' and somewhere between the surface and 20' you'll find the thermalcline and right at the top of the thermo is where ya want thats where the water has the most oxygenated water and will hold more fish....
    That last part will start more controversial statements than this board has ever seen
    all these are my observations,, yers may vary
    JAKE

but for $15.,, if you can learn from it and it gives you more confidence in what yer throw'n at'm,, that would be a CHEAP price for knowledge.........
    Last edited by CRAPPIEDENTIST; 01-31-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    ~~~~~~~({<(((((((*>
    unOFFICIAL Mayor of BLUFF Landing, OK

Post Thanks / Like

STUMP
    ya got mail
    JAKE
    ~~~~~~~({<(((((((*>
    unOFFICIAL Mayor of BLUFF Landing, OK

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation bttmline ....

Quote Originally Posted by bttmline
    How many of you have used one of these lure color selectors and do they help. So one at a show this past week-end and wondered if I should have bought it. Only $15.00 and still looked like new.
    Tim
    If it was a Color-C-lector ... it's probably not worth $15

If it was a Combo-C-lector ... it's worth it.

I'm referring to the round ones, that have a probe on a wire that wraps around the unit. You can find them on eBay, now & again, but they usually sell for way more than they cost new.

They are just another tool ... that, if used correctly, and maintained in good working order (& correctly adjusted), will add another dimension of information to your fishing arsenal. Like any other single tool, they are not the "be all/end all/magic bullet" that most people are looking for

They don't/won't tell you what color the fish are biting :p .... they'll just tell you what color is the most visible, at the depth of the probe and under the prevailing water clarity conditions & sunlight penetration levels. That can help, but ... you'd have to know how deep the fish were BEFORE you lowered the probe :p I've always been of the mind that, if I know how deep they are, I can get my bait in front of them ... and if I can do that, they'll usually hit whatever color I have on - - - that's why I usually don't bother taking my Combo-C-lector with me, unless I'm more interested in the temp reading, than I am in the color selection reading.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast