Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickle hooks vs. Eagle claw jig hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle hooks vs. Eagle claw jig hooks

What is the verdict on the sickle hooks? Heard that they are super sharp, but could be losing the sharpness quickly, is that true or just a yarn. Especially those that tie jigs, are the customers coming back for more orders with the sickle hooks over the traditional hooks?

I don't know myself, that's why I am hoping to get some opinions. I used the sickles several years ago when a feller gave me some of his ties and they were new.

If you were ordering from a jig tier would you prefer the sickle over the traditional? Guides, do you and your customers use them and what is your opinion?

How about their use for live bait fishing?

Regards and Good Fishing,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle Hooks

I'm not a guide or a jig builder, but IMO the sickle hooks do a better job for me. Just my .02:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have only used the sickle hook jigs the last 3-4 times I have been but I too like them, seem to stay buttoned up better to me.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I get my jigs from CrappieDay and had never used them before. I don't loose many fish and they are sharp, so yes I like them....Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sold on sickle hooks. My hook ups have increased and so has my landing persentage. As for the hooks losing their sharpness I haven't noticed it.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

About 95% of the jigs I tie are with sickle hooks. And I have repeat customers that order the sickle hooks. I caught some largemouth bass a couple of weeks ago on one of my jigs, one was over 5 lbs and the other about 4lbs. Didnt even faze the sharpness of the sickle hooks!!

Post Thanks / Like

SICKLE HOOKS all the way! I still use some Mustad hooks just because I have them but I have ordered 2000 sickle hooks this year and that is all my customers want.

I have fished with sickle hook jigs for several days and the hair will wear off them before they get dull. They hook up better than any other hook I have tried, you will usually need something to help remove the hook from the roof of the crappies mouth.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a comparison of the hook size between a mustad and a Matzuo sickle hook.

Name:  IMG_1188 Hooks.JPG
Views: 4564
Size:  15.5 KB

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Sickle hooks are about allI use these days. Sharp, hook up ratio seams to be a bit better and slabologist is correct. you need somthing to help get the hook out, when its in the roof of there mouth.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

Great information, thanks for the input.

Mud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast