Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Make sure the hook cuts easily!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Make sure the hook cuts easily!

As you can see in my picture, good jigs can catch fingers too. When the hook went in past the barb, I knew I had to push it on through the skin and cut it off. It was really hard to cut with a small sidecutter. BUMMER :o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have taken several like that out with a piece of stong fishing line. Tie it in a loop about 12" in dia. Slip it iver the hook so it is close to the skin. While holding a slight downward pressure on the end snap it out with the string. Believe me this works. It painless and will not tear your skin up coming out.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IBNFSHN, That is a technique that all fishermen should learn. It works great, painless, less painful than going to a Dr. and it can save the day so as you can continue fishing. I've used it a couple of time and people marvel at how simple and painless it is, although they are a little apprehensive at first when you first wrap that line around it. I learned the method from a fishing magazine over thirty years ago and it has come in handy. I wish I had the illustrations to show how its done so that all can see and learn.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

The snatch method of hook removal is simple and effective, It's the best method to remove a hook that's deeply imbedded in the skin and when the barb is buried.

To perform the snatch method when the barb is imbedded, all that's needed is a short length of fishing line, at least 10 pound test, approximately 2 feet long.

1) Remove hook from lure. 2) Double the fishing line and loop it around the hook, as close to the skin's surface as possible. 3) Hold onto both ends of the doubled line, wrapping them around your hand for a firm grip and holding the line parallel to the skinŐs surface in line with the hook. 4) With your other hand, press the eye of the hook down onto the surface of the skin and back toward the hook's bend, as if trying to back the hook out of the wound. 5) While pressing on the hook eye, yank the line sharply, parallel to the skin and in line with the hook, to snap the hook back out of the wound. 6) Apply antibiotic ointment, bandage wound and check to make sure tetanus shots are current.
    "Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radtexan
    The snatch method of hook removal is simple and effective, It's the best method to remove a hook that's deeply imbedded in the skin and when the barb is buried.

To perform the snatch method when the barb is imbedded, all that's needed is a short length of fishing line, at least 10 pound test, approximately 2 feet long.

1) Remove hook from lure. 2) Double the fishing line and loop it around the hook, as close to the skin's surface as possible. 3) Hold onto both ends of the doubled line, wrapping them around your hand for a firm grip and holding the line parallel to the skinŐs surface in line with the hook. 4) With your other hand, press the eye of the hook down onto the surface of the skin and back toward the hook's bend, as if trying to back the hook out of the wound. 5) While pressing on the hook eye, yank the line sharply, parallel to the skin and in line with the hook, to snap the hook back out of the wound. 6) Apply antibiotic ointment, bandage wound and check to make sure tetanus shots are current.
    This is a much better explaination.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

snatch method has gotta hurt....
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks - great helpful replies

Next time I will know what to do- THANKS! The problem with pushing the point on through is that I almost fainted. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Another little tip is have someone else do it if possible.I buried a treble to the shank in my thigh.We I 'd tried the snatch methid the first pull I didnt snap it hard enough.That will make you pee down you're leg( almost passed out from the pain) Had a buddy pop it and out it came no problem.Have done it a couple more times over the years a quick hard jerk is the ticket.PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Hence why i always crimp the barbs when im tying....i stick myself a lot but it always is just like a big pin poke due to no barb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prchjerker
    That will make you pee down you're leg( almost passed out from the pain)
    LMAO!!!Not at your pain of course. I don't think the feeling could be desribed any better.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com