Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor noise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor noise

Well a buddy of mine and I finally built and placed some condo's on Melton hill yesterday. Water temp ranged from 53.5 to 56. The problem is my trolling motor is very noisy. ( MG Brute 12/24..50lbs) When I spin it by hand I can hear it squeak up in the nose.
    Has anyone had any experience trying to dismantle a MG??? With the price of new units the way they are, I hate to just tear into it.

Thanks for a great board, and thanks Jerry for the condo articles.
    Ed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tn_countryboy
    Well a buddy of mine and I finally built and placed some condo's on Melton hill yesterday. Water temp ranged from 53.5 to 56. The problem is my trolling motor is very noisy. ( MG Brute 12/24..50lbs) When I spin it by hand I can hear it squeak up in the nose.
    Has anyone had any experience trying to dismantle a MG??? With the price of new units the way they are, I hate to just tear into it.

Ed.
    If it were mine, I would take a look inside to see if the bearings/bushings and brushes were ok, but before I did I would make sure I had a source for new gaskets, o-rings, seals, and parts. I've never had to open a MG before, so I can't be of much help in that area, but don't put it off too long. You might save it now if you are able to do it yourself, if not consider taking it to a qualified repairman.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try going to trollingmotorparts.com . They can help you .

See ya Kevin ><)))*>
    Excellent

Post Thanks / Like

I never took the lower unit's motor apart before. I had a Motor Guide HAWG 12 Volt system from 1978 until 2003. I finally managed to break the wire that controls the head from the foot pedal and have not been able to find that part anywhere. I just junked the HAWG and got a new Min_Kota Trolling motor.

Getting parts is what going to be hard. If you do locate a supplier of parts then you may have better luck than I did.

Ed.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck with your tm repair, Ed. Our MG Tour bit the dust a couple weeks ago. Took it to a "qualified repairman" and when we got it back and tried it out, it was louder than a freight train. He said it had a "foreign body" in it which he removed, I'm thinking it probably wasn't so foreign. Anyway, the new MinnKota Maxxum Pro from Cabela's is now on its way. It hurt the pocketbook, but I'm not much into sculling. By the way, if you end up buying a new one, they've got free shipping on the tm plus, there's no tax!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ed.
    I hate to send somebody to another board, but I sent somebody from over there here last week, so I guess it's even. Go to Bass Boat Central's boards at http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/ Registration is free, and there are two guys who hang out in the Electronics Forum who are TM repair guys: John Jones aka Buckselectric/Jonestrollmotor and a guy whose handle is something like tmotor84. Both are sharp, hands on people who will help you through the repair and can do the work if you decide you can't, or sell you parts. Both are willing to help you even if you aren't a paying customer. I think Buck's is in Texarkana. I've not done business with either, but I've never heard any criticism of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've got your parts

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I never took the lower unit's motor apart before. I had a Motor Guide HAWG 12 Volt system from 1978 until 2003. I finally managed to break the wire that controls the head from the foot pedal and have not been able to find that part anywhere. I just junked the HAWG and got a new Min_Kota Trolling motor.

Getting parts is what going to be hard. If you do locate a supplier of parts then you may have better luck than I did.
    My 12 volt Motor Guide Hawg has an electrical problem. 95% of the time it worked fine and the %5 of the time it didn't work always seemed to be when I was freeing a snagged lure and needed to reverse direction to avoid hitting something. I'm not using the Hawg anymore, it's been replaced with a Minn Kota Powerdrive, but if you need parts off it i could bring it to the Spring Fling at Eden.