Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: info and help

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow info and help

ok let me start by saying i was never a plastics man ever but would liketo try them for crappie which i never fished for before mostly caught bluegill and bass perch and so on but on live bait

heres my questions :

first off what color jig head plain , white , red , chartruese..........

then what color body red/white blue/white , assasions , fuzzies ,tubes , solids............

and i know there are 1000's of answers to all of these but loking for some of the most productive ones.

and what would be the best way to fish these find the depth and jig them up and down several inches , slowly retrieve them like a spinner or dead stick them pull little let lay , pull a little let lay .........

just needing to see what i need to buy or try and i also guess that every area is differant?

thanks for any help in advance ,

Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with chartreuse. I'd suggest using both red and chartreuse jig heads with a solid chartreuse body. I always use a slow, steady retrieve after counting down to the depth I want to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use my hand tied jigs, but some of my favorite colors are in order of head color/body color/tail color:
    hot pink/silver/hot pink or hot pink/white/hot pink with flash
    hot orange/hot orange/yellow chartreuse
    green chartreuse/black/green chartreuse
    solid blacks
    solid chartreuses
    red/red/green chartreuse
    blue/black/blue

And the list goes on.

The techniques you said all work, you just have to let the fish tell you what they want.

If you're interested in trying some hand tied jigs out, shoot me and PM and I'll be glad to help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Basic beginners all around color combos. Arm yourself with these plastics and you'll never need live bait again if you learn to use them. Actually you could start out by picking one category below and getting a variety of colors and you'd kill em. Maybe the spike its or the hot grubs.

Tubes - Red or black and chartreuse. Red or black and white. Blue and clear glitter for clear water conditions, and always some solid clear or smoke and glitter for clear water conditions as well. 1.5 inches - 2 inches

Grubs - Solid chartreuse or solid smoke and glitter. Green and chartreuse. http://www.grizzlyjig.com/html/hot_grubs.html

Berkley power bait - green/chart 1 inch micro tubes and the 2 inch christmas lights colored grubs (in my opinion the all around best color and plastic bait you can use. I caught 11 species in 4-5 hours of fishing on this bait.)

Cabelas - Berkley gulp crappie grubs in solids - chart, smoke glow. 2 inch.

BPS - berkley gulp fish fry and crappie beavers.

Grizzly jig - Wooly beavertails in a variety of colors.

http://www.grizzlyjig.com/html/spike-it_lures.html

http://www.grizzlyjig.com/html/core_colors.html
    Good things come to those who bait.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you got some solid advice here already. Fish what you have confidence in and what the Crappies tell you. After you think you are fishing slow, then slow it down some more. That's the key. Crappies like to study the bait before gently inhaling it.

You cannot go wrong with Chartreuse and black
    Chartreuse and White
    Chartreuse and Pink
    Chartreuse and blue aqua
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41
    Looks like you got some solid advice here already. Fish what you have confidence in and what the Crappies tell you. After you think you are fishing slow, then slow it down some more. That's the key. Crappies like to study the bait before gently inhaling it.

You cannot go wrong with Chartreuse and black
    Chartreuse and White
    Chartreuse and Pink
    Chartreuse and blue aqua
    I have to agree 110% on the chartreuse and blue. It works very well, and looks great. One of my favorite colors, especially with hair jigs. It's gotta be green chartreuse though.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fellas for all the info am going to try these out and most likly order me some colors :D

and hopefully catch me some crappie got to wait for the ice to get off the water so i can get my boat on there . i to big for ice fishing loldon't care if it;s 3 ft thick

thanks,
    Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures
    I have to agree 110% on the chartreuse and blue. It works very well, and looks great. One of my favorite colors, especially with hair jigs. It's gotta be green chartreuse though.

That's what I call Chartreuse.:D :D :D
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Up here in NW arkansas my go to color is black and chartruse, but I also like to use the spro crappie jig in bucktail and chartruse. Pretty much any thing with chartruse is a good start!
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't bother with painted jig heads, just use bare metal. Chartreuse needs to be there for most fishing conditions, either by itself, or in combination with another color. I personally like 1.5" tubes, and basically I keep a Plano 3600 box filled with different colors. Chartreuse is deadly, and several compartments in that box are different variations of chartreuse (with other colors, with or without glitter, and so on), but now and then they won't hit it and I'll switch to hot pink, or white/silver, or red/white and they turn back on for me.

Best-bet, for me at least, is to start with chartreuse, then if that isn't working, start with chart/other color combinations. If they still ain't biting, then I'll start trying some of the other odd-ball colors in the box.

My recommendation, get an assortment of colors and color combinations. Go heavier on the chartreuse than you do on other colors, but be sure to have those other colors too.