Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 volt question

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 volt question

Well we are almost ready for Big Sandy.We will hit the road early Easter morning. How do You guy's recharge your 24 volt batteries. As You, can see,I am new to this electric motor stuff. Do I dissconect all the cables and recharge them one at a time with a 12 volt charger? Or can I just connect a 12 volt charger to a neg. on one battery and connect the post. to the other battery? Thanks in advance..........Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow DEpends...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiller
    Well we are almost ready for Big Sandy.We will hit the road early Easter morning. How do You guy's recharge your 24 volt batteries. As You, can see,I am new to this electric motor stuff. Do I dissconect all the cables and recharge them one at a time with a 12 volt charger? Or can I just connect a 12 volt charger to a neg. on one battery and connect the post. to the other battery? Thanks in advance..........Blue
    ...leave connected ....on a single bank charger hook 1 lead to any pos,1 lead to any neg....batteries are connected so any combo will work.......on multi-bank charger one set of leads to one batt...2nd set of leads to other batt..pos-2-pos..neg-2-neg....
    Last edited by KARL; 03-22-2005 at 09:50 AM.
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

BB, you'll have to charge them one-at-a-time with a 12volt charger. Don't have to disconnect them either. You could charge them both together if you had a 24 volt charger the way you asked. You could charge them together if you connected the + to + & - to -. That will get you to 12 volts. The charger would have to be a strong one to charge them in a few hours, because if you had a 10 amp charger it would be like only having a 5 amp charger. Your BEST bet would be to add a on-board charger. They have some on the market under $200 that will charge all 3 batteries at once. With only a 10 amp charger it would prolly take 6 hours on each battery to bring it up to full charge after a hard day on the trolling motor. Hope this helps ya! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PassPro branded XPS 4/4 to charge my 2 Delco Voyagers, and it works great. Because of what I know now I'd prolly go with more amps especially if I were doing back 2 back days/tourney.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3 bank charger on board,but it is only 6 amp. I am bringing a 50 amp.charger along. Do I have to disconnect the cables on the 24 volt system to charge. I know that I can put pos.to pos. and neg.to neg. and charge both at one time,but I think it would be quicker to recharge each one. Are You saying I could hook up the charger to one battery and charge it without disconnecting the cables,and then charge the other. If I could do one battery at a time and not have to screw around with the cables (leave it set up for 24 volts and simply add the cables from the charger and do one at a time) That would work.....I don't have a 24 volt charger. Is this something I should buy?

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishcrazed...

Be careful with that XPS charger if you leave it on and hooked up for a long time it is possible that it will cook the water out of the batteries and ruin them. This info comes from a reliable source inside BPS. They return quite a few of them. They will replace the charger if it is bad, but unless you have BPS batteries and you don't, you'll have to eat them. I'm not saying that their chargers are all bad, I would just suggest checking water levels frequently and careful charging. And to anyone considering a on board charger, I would also suggest to seriously consider one that has a complete shut-off feature when the battery is charged not one that drops down to a lower amp trickle charge.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fiddlefarter!and others: What is a xps charger? As i said I am new to this electric motor stuff. All I want to do is charge the batteries in a simple way.I find it hard to believe that You have to disconnect all the cables inorder to charge the battery(batteries) I can charge the batteries after i get done fishing----pos.to pos.-----neg to neg.....Can I leave the 24 volt cables connected and still charge the batteries? Or do i have to have a 24 volt charger inorder to leave the 24 volt cable connected. I am thinking I can just put the neg. cable to the open neg.post the the pos. cable to the open pos. post, from the charger. I have a minn kota 65 and a manual----there isn't anything about recharging the batteries in this manual........Also does anyone know what the Orange cable from the electric motor is for? I am going to put it with the Red pos.cable.Does that sound right? I think it is for the light on top of the unit,that would show You, the direction You, are going. Keep in mind that I have never seen the prop turn on this thing...I just want to do it right and no greef......Someone in China wrote the directions

Post Thanks / Like

XPS is just the brand of charger it's an onboard charger sold by Bass Pro Shops. There are other brands out there. Basically its a charger with one or more "banks" (one for each battery) that you mount in the boat and leave it hooked to the batteries. When you get in you just plug an extension cord to it and your batteries get charged. By far the most hassle free way to charge multiple batteries. I have a Dual Pro charger, same type of charger. I just plug it up and it charges both my trolling motor batts. You can get a 1 bank to charge 1 battery or a 2 bank charger to charge 2 batteries or a 3 bank charger to charge 3 batts. When you get ready to go fishin' you just unhook the cord and drive off. No hooking/unhooking charger.

They way understand it you can charge both batts hooked up, but you need to switch the charger to each batt...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

as i said i have a on board charger,the kind you are talking about,but it is only a 6 amp output. All i am trying to find out is how do You guy's charge your 24 volt batteries?.....like over night....do I need to buy a 24 volt charger? Blue

Post Thanks / Like

My bad Blue, I was reading too far into this all.

Is your on-board charger 6amps per bank or 6 total amps with 2 amps per bank. If its 6per, Here's what I would do: I would leave the 50A charger at home and carry an extension cord and some more minners in its place. You already have a charger for all your batts, why carry another? 6 amps per bank on each batt will charge them overnight. You could carry the big charger just in case but I don't think you will need it. Just hook the on board to your 2 trollers and you cranker and plug it in when you get in at night... Unless of course your 6 amp charger is actually 2/2/2, then you might need the bigger charger to charge the trollers overnight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast