Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Water Jig Colors?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Water Jig Colors?

I fish a river that's called a black water river, and rightfully so. I was wondering what colors folks like for this kind of water? Would you go with natural colors like blacks, browns, greens and olives, or bright oranges, whites, chartreuses, ect?
    I tried to search, but it's not working. I just get a blank screen after I submit my search.

Post Thanks / Like

Black is one of my favorite. I believe the darker the water the darker the jig. Gold blades give off more flash in dingy water if you are using a roadrunner. Good to have some vibration and scent. Those two are critical when fishing dingy water.

The Hound

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Down here in South Louisiana blue and white work real good. Blue head white tale tube jig or my preference a sparsely tied blue over white marabou jig.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Blue is the easiest for them to see.
    I fish some stained water up here and blue/white or blue /chart.yellow kills those slabs.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If its black from cyprus trees like a lot of ours anything with some sparkly in it seems to work better.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the waters that "smoothlures" is talking about are not stained or dingy. The water is very clear but black in color from the tannin thats in the water because of the type of forest they run through. We have quite a few black water bayous down here usually draining from cypress swamps. The water is very clear just has a dark tint to it. The fish caught in these waters are usually darker but the colors are brilliant.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I already had some blue and white jigs in my box, gonna add a few more I think.

Ibnfshn, do the trees do something to make it black? I don't know if that's why it is or not, but I'll tie up a couple of jigs with tinsel chenille and see how they do. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the trees make it black. I t is decaying of cypress trees that causes the water to look like tea or coffee. I have fished stained water all my life, growing up on the rivers of NC. I am living on the Perquimans River and if you Google it, you'll find that biologist actually think there should not be any fish in this water because of the tannin.

I almost always use chartruese when targeting crappie unless I use a white road runner for casting. A white curly tailed spinner will catch every species of fish their is to catch in the rivers I fish.

You can't go wrong with minnows either. Especially if you find a spot that is holding fish and can't seem to persuade a bite with artificial.

I take turns trolling chartruese storm baits (2-3 inch) and verying colors of bandits. I also like spider rigging with different colors til I find what they want. Usually any scenerio of attack still reveals the same dominant color chartruese or chartruese and something, or minnows.

Right now I like chartruese marabou 1/32oz for spidder rigging

chartruese storm swim baits 2-3 inches or chartruese with blue bandits 1-2mph usually 1.5.

White curly tail spinbeatle and white road runner for casting (I use all silver blades because all the bait fish are silver, also I have noticed... I don't catch fish with gold blades).

Used less often; there is the 3-4 inch black and white (typical) broke back repala, as well as pink and white skirted mini spinner baits for the spawn.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with PawPawGene and StumpBumpers on this one although I tend to throw a tiny gold-bladed beetlespin more than the silver overall!!! I also like the combination of chartreuse/blue or white as great overall fish catchers and especially in tannin-stained water. The specks which come from these tannin waters in Va are literally gold (where they should be silver/white) with black and the larger specimens are simply gorgeous fish!!!!!
    Last edited by IceWarriorGill; 01-30-2008 at 01:54 AM.

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I just did some research on the river and it is 'black' because of the tannin. They're fine to eat right?

I'm gonna pick up some gold spinners and beetle spins and see how they do, and tie up some more jigs.

Thanks for the info y'all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast